Author Topic: evaporation/mosquito mitigation  (Read 31 times)

tankertoad

evaporation/mosquito mitigation
« on: May 04, 2021, 02:56:41 pm »
This may not be worth it for many, but it gets pretty hot and dry here in central Texas.  If you have any old, or even new if you don't need the caps, spray cans of paint around, take a look inside the cap.  The cap's inner cylinder outside diameter is just a bit smaller than the inside diameter of the watering tube, so the inner cylinder in the cap will fit very nicely into the watering tube.  The cap won't blow off unless the wind is pretty strong because the inner part of the cap fits into the watering tube.  It's bound to help some with water loss due to evaporation, and might help a bit with mosquito issues, although there is still a way for mosquitoes to get in through the overflow vent.  Easy to remove and replace during watering.  Just tinkering.  Might help some folks.

Mary-Alice

Re: evaporation/mosquito mitigation
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 11:59:38 am »
I am thinking I might just slip a produce bag over the top of the tube, the one I bought my red onions in. It has very small holes and I think will last the season, I can still water through it. I will simply tie in onto the tube. If mosquitoes get to be a problem at all, maybe there is a way to use those mosquito dunks....not sure, I will have to look into it. Have you read anything about using those? I am sure hydroponics growers have had to deal with this before, hopefully there will be some good information....I will keep an eye on your post/thread in hopes to learn more....