Author Topic: Growing Inside  (Read 6716 times)

EarthBoxAdmin

• Administrator
  • Lititz, PA Zone 6A
Growing Inside
« on: June 20, 2017, 09:06:58 am »
Disclaimer: This post was originally posted by Newbie, lizapow. This was originally posted on January 10, 2015.

Hello all!

Sorry if this topic has come up before but I searched and couldn't find much. I just got an EB for Christmas and would love to grow something inside to help me get through the winter. Has anyone been successful in doing this? Any suggestions as to what to plant, how to do it (do I need additional lighting, etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

EarthBoxAdmin

• Administrator
  • Lititz, PA Zone 6A
Re: Growing Inside
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:08:25 am »
Disclaimer: This post was originally posted by Hero Member, baileyj. This user is located in Zone 7A---Annapolis, Maryland. This was originally posted on January 10, 2015.

lizapow,
Welcome to the forum....This is a great place to ask questions and get support.  I have been gardening in Earthboxes now for 10 years or so  and would not go back to in-ground planting.  It is very different from other gardening though and takes a good season to get the concepts down.

Be sure to read the posts from the Earthbox chat in either TIPS/TRICKS or QUESTIONS/ANSWERS there are so many resources and some of our most experienced gardeners have posted the ones they find the most helpful.
     Here are a few--"New to EB?  Start Here"
                             "Garden Doc tips"
                             "Links Garden supplies  & suppliers"
                             "Cooperative Extension Information"
                             "How to show Zone and Location"   ***Necessary to answer questions         

Not sure where you are located but obviously it must be cool or you would be growing outside.  If  you are in zone 8 or more, I would wait for your spring planting time to start the box.   If you are in zone 7, or less, like here our last frost is April and it is too long to wait,  I would try something now to capitalize on the wintertime.

You may not know it but a full filled box weighs about 100 lbs--makes it tough to move if the vegetables are full grown when you try to move them. 

The big issue will be enough light.  If you have a place to put the box with several hours of light you will not need supplemental light, or you could set up a shop light to supplement if you need to.

You can grow lettuces, greens, spinach, herbs etc... inside without lights if you have a good spot with some sun.  I would start with something like lettuce which grows quickly.  Or Spinach which can be hard to start but likes the cool weather and could be moved outside early to continue to grow.

The best advice I would give is to be sure to follow the guidelines for the EB --absolutely to the letter, the first season at least. 

The forum has a lot of ideas and variations which are great, but can be over whelming to new EB gardeners.  If  you get the concepts down the first year (using the cover, fertilizer strip placement, planting mix and wicking system)  you will enjoy the benefits of an EB and then be able to experiment with confidence.

Ask as many questions as you have, we are here to help, support and cheer on your successes !!
Good luck,
Judi

EarthBoxAdmin

• Administrator
  • Lititz, PA Zone 6A
Re: Growing Inside
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 09:09:50 am »
Disclaimer: This post was originally posted by Hero Member, mjb8743. This user is located in Zone 7. South NJ, Garden State. This was originally posted on January 10, 2015.

One more thing...

Pay attention to which section you post in.... make your posts appropriate to the forum topics. Doing so will give you more responses to your questions and make searching easier.

Judi pretty much covered the basics  Smiley
Good luck,
Mickie