The EarthBox Forum
October 31, 2014, 07:08:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dog is eating organic fertilizer  (Read 4198 times)
mhemery

« on: April 21, 2012, 01:42:03 PM »

Please keep laughter to a minimum: Planted two earthboxes. My dog tore one apart to get to the organic fertilizer. Help. And no, getting rid of the dog seems not to be an option.
seansmum

Queensbury, NY. Zone 4-5

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 02:08:49 PM »

Obedience school?
svt565

Historic Stella, WA - Sunset zone 4, USDA Zone 8b

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 03:21:04 PM »

I had a critter getting into a box. Was blaming it on the neighbor cat. The damage was minor but something was getting into it.  Then I caught the culprit in the act and it was MY Dog!  It was funny when I caught her. She is a large dog. Tall enough to be have her two hind legs on the ground, laying across length of the box under her full weight, front paws laying next to her ears, and her face buried in the potting mix at the opposite end, eating the fertilizer. I did not get a picture.

Since I caught her in the act I was able to shame her by over reacting showing how it hurt my feelings.  You end up looking like a fool be so dramatic, but it works for me.  She has left my boxes alone since, that was 3 years ago. (I reacted to a previous dog, 25 yrs ago, that chewed an item of mine, after I fake cried and had an over reacting drama scene how my item was ruined, he never chew anything again.)  Might try it, and hopefully the neighbors are not watching.

SW Washington State, along the mighty Columbia River - currently 15 EBs and want more
Sun City Linda

SoCal Inland 9A

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 05:07:47 PM »

SVT -  Grin Thats funny.  Most of my dogs have been interested in what I plant.  With all those good smells, they are just sure theres a bone in their somewhere.  TomatoTone is the worst!
writeone

Orlando, FL; Zone 9B

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »

I never heard of being over dramatic as a means of dog training. LOL.

I did see  a cat owner immitate her cat's "I'm lonely howl." The cat wouldn't come to the call of it's name, but when the owner howled, "I'm lonely," in cat language, it came running every time.

Thank you, Carole -- 23 boxes and growing.
Massage & Wellness. http://restoredbytouch.com     Local Garden Group http://www.meetup.com/Organic-and-sustainable-Living-Meetup
cushman350
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 08:39:18 PM »

Please keep laughter to a minimum: Planted two earthboxes. My dog tore one apart to get to the organic fertilizer. Help. And no, getting rid of the dog seems not to be an option.

Set about 6 small mouse traps on top of your EBs. Sooner or later he'll quit. Grin
tabbyblack13

Zone 7A to 9 (It's confusing), Northern AZ

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:40:39 AM »

Set about 6 small mouse traps on top of your EBs. Sooner or later he'll quit. Grin

My neighbor did that to keep is french bulldog off of the couch. It does work.

Growing old isn't an option, Growing up is.
rangermenace

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 10:35:58 AM »

what i find is when the box has water in it racoons will try to dig down to the water. Poor little animals must really be in need for water to do that. Angry
kathy
Horticulturalist
The EarthBox

The mountains of PA Zone 5, almost 4.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 01:40:45 PM »

Try burying the fertilizer by 4 inches with potting mix. The other trick is to mask the delicious smell, hide some smelly bars of soap (like Irish Spring) under or on top of the cover, until that smell goes away.

kath, gardening is my game,  over 45 years in the business.
mhemery

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 09:06:55 PM »

So, I thought we were in the clear--irrigation system all set up. Dog was leaving the boxes alone. And boom, tonight she tore another one open and ate about a 1/4 of the fertilizer. Fantastic. So, I ordered a replant kit--can I try and just fill in the missing fertilizer?
morganmac

NW Georgia, zone 7b

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 09:53:01 PM »

Oh, I just ran into this with my dogs! Fortunately it wasn't in my Earthboxes, but still. I was not pleased! Why is it dogs have such a knack for finding the things that smell the worst and either rolling in them or eating them?! Those were two smelly dogs, let me tell you.  Angry

Morgan
acanfield

Torrance, CA, Zone 10b

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 12:51:09 AM »

I wish my dogs would eat organic fertilizer -- instead of what they do eat.  I won't be too graphic, but let's just say I don't have to scoop up as much poop as I might  Grin

12 EBs with AWS
kathy
Horticulturalist
The EarthBox

The mountains of PA Zone 5, almost 4.

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »

So, I thought we were in the clear--irrigation system all set up. Dog was leaving the boxes alone. And boom, tonight she tore another one open and ate about a 1/4 of the fertilizer. Fantastic. So, I ordered a replant kit--can I try and just fill in the missing fertilizer?
Yes, you can just fill in, with your best guess at how much is missing.

kath, gardening is my game,  over 45 years in the business.
baileyj

Zone 7A--- Annapolis, Maryland

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »

After reading this post I have been praising my dog for not participating in the eating/rolling etc....
He does love to find the "dead-fish smelling" animal remains occassionally behind the shed....he then sulks and cringes as he comes to the door, knowing he should not have done it again !
Thank God he leaves the EBs alone...
Judi
mhemery

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 06:19:51 AM »

Just as a follow up, I purchased some device called a Scarecrow by Contech--it's a simple sprinkler mounted to a motion sensor. Mounted the thing on the side of my deck. Dog walks near my EBs, it fires. Dog is soaked, runs, and is none too happy.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: