The EarthBox Forum
November 27, 2014, 06:29:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: EarthBox Junior  (Read 18752 times)
John

Zone 5

« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2012, 11:58:50 AM »

Yes, it is Shocked.  I have to stake it or else let it tip over and continue to grow like they do in the fields.

Pennsylvania Certified Horticulturist (PCH)
movrshakr

Zone 10a- near Cape Canaveral

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »

Yes, it is Shocked.  I have to stake it or else let it tip over and continue to grow like they do in the fields.

How can it operate tipped over?  The reservoir has to be on the bottom, and tipped, it won't be.

Cloud online backup--multiple computers allowed. Sign up http://www.idrive.com/?uid=F6I9Y6E2O7
kathy
Horticulturalist
The EarthBox

The mountains of PA Zone 5, almost 4.

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2012, 02:19:20 PM »

He means the plant tipped over, not the box!

kath, gardening is my game,  over 45 years in the business.
movrshakr

Zone 10a- near Cape Canaveral

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2012, 02:26:07 PM »

He means the plant tipped over, not the box!

O

Cloud online backup--multiple computers allowed. Sign up http://www.idrive.com/?uid=F6I9Y6E2O7
John

Zone 5

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »

Sorry I wasn't too clear.....thanks Kathy!

John

Zone 5

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2012, 08:28:41 AM »

Patio Tomato growing in EarthBox Jr......Week#11

* resize11.jpg (68.64 KB, 480x360 - viewed 207 times.)

grandmamac

Zone 7 Near Edinburgh, Scotland.

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2012, 10:00:58 AM »

It's so good to see these photos. I might have room for some Juniors when I move... hmmmmm. My son has a raised and gravelled part of his garden where I could put some up against a low wall.

The big question is - - are they addictive?
Greatgardens

Mid-Indiana, Zone 5b

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2012, 05:09:32 PM »

It's apx 70-77 days since transplanting?  I see blossoms, but are there any tomatoes set, yet?  "Junior" doesn't hold much water.  That's a big plant -- drying out more than once/day?  I don't see any AWS on the box (and I don't even know if one is available for "Junior").  Seems like a lot of plant for that size box.

-GG

mjb8743

Zone 7, South NJ, Garden State

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2012, 09:53:25 PM »

It's so good to see these photos. I might have room for some Juniors when I move... hmmmmm. My son has a raised and gravelled part of his garden where I could put some up against a low wall.

The big question is - - are they addictive?

Heheh.... I now have 8 Jr's.....

Mickie

111 EBs and growing... so how come there are never enough boxes??
John

Zone 5

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »

It's apx 70-77 days since transplanting?  I see blossoms, but are there any tomatoes set, yet?  "Junior" doesn't hold much water.  That's a big plant -- drying out more than once/day?  I don't see any AWS on the box (and I don't even know if one is available for "Junior").  Seems like a lot of plant for that size box.

-GG

No tomatoes yet but lots of flowers! EarthBox Jr. holds 1.15 gallons of water.  We recommend one patio tomato variety per "Junior".  I have been watering once a day and our growing season is just starting here in NEPA.  No, there is no automated watering system for "Junior".  EarthBox Jr. is new and we are experimenting.  Check out the picture below.  That year I grew 2 giant sunflowers in one "Regular" EarthBox.  They grew over 10' tall!

* Copy of sunflower 008.jpg (75.91 KB, 290x1229 - viewed 601 times.)

chrissykr

Chicago Burbs zone 5a

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »

-GG

No tomatoes yet but lots of flowers! EarthBox Jr. holds 1.15 gallons of water.  We recommend one patio tomato variety per "Junior".  I have been watering once a day and our growing season is just starting here in NEPA.  No, there is no automated watering system for "Junior".  EarthBox Jr. is new and we are experimenting.  Check out the picture below.  That year I grew 2 giant sunflowers in one "Regular" EarthBox.  They grew over 10' tall!

I have been watching the growth of your tomato plant and am wondering why you have not updated the Jr.  planting guide to reflect this. I asked about this earlier in this this thread and Kathy said two would be fine. This should really be updated on the planting guide since I used that to base my decision to purchase a Jr. I would have spent a few dollars more and gotten a full size one if I had known a Jr. is for only one patio tomato. I am sure others would like to know this info as well.
Greatgardens

Mid-Indiana, Zone 5b

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »

I'm thinking that they may be some confusion about "patio tomatoes" vs. "patio tomatoes."  I have two Junior's, and I'll be planting my fall tomatoes in a Junior.  I think that two smaller varieties (usually advertised as being container/patio friendly) will do fine.  I personally don't like growing large tomato plants in Earth Boxes, because they have not done well for me in the past.  Small fruit, BER, drying out more than once/day are some of the issues I encountered.  

"Patio" tomato varieties for Junior?

Window Box Roma (2?)
Patio (1 or 2?)
Sweet n' Neat (2 or 3?)
Red Robin (2 or 3?)
Pixie (2?)
Vilma (2?)
...and lots of others

Of these, I'll probably plant two Window Box Roma and three Sweet n' Neat.  I have a question mark after all these, because it's my first tomato attempt in "Junior."

I'm very hopeful for John's success with the bigger type plant, but based on my experience, I'm skeptical.  Time will tell, and of course, it's just "IMO."

-GG

I have been watching the growth of your tomato plant and am wondering why you have not updated the Jr.  planting guide to reflect this. I asked about this earlier in this this thread and Kathy said two would be fine. This should really be updated on the planting guide since I used that to base my decision to purchase a Jr. I would have spent a few dollars more and gotten a full size one if I had known a Jr. is for only one patio tomato. I am sure others would like to know this info as well.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:01:37 PM by Greatgardens » Logged
chrissykr

Chicago Burbs zone 5a

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2012, 12:25:26 PM »

I put two tumbling Tom in my jr. I hope they do ok.
John

Zone 5

« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2012, 01:30:24 PM »

What Kathy recommends are two smaller patio tomatoes for EarthBox Jr.  GG hit the nail on the head stating "patio tomatoes' vs "patio tomatoes".  Some patio tomato varieties can reach over 48" while smaller varieties of patio tomatoes grow to about 18-20".  Smaller varieties such as Window Box Roma and Tiny Tim can be planted 2 per EarthBox Jr.  The Taller varieties of patio tomatoes such as Ace 55 should only be planted one per EarthBox Jr......as you can see by my week-to-week photos.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 01:33:06 PM by John » Logged

John

Zone 5

« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2012, 01:37:03 PM »

Romaine Lettuce growing in EarthBox Jr....8 per box

* 8RomaineLettuce in Jr..jpg (58.86 KB, 452x360 - viewed 253 times.)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: