The EarthBox Forum
September 02, 2014, 10:07:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How exactly do I stake my squash on the "system?"  (Read 2651 times)
lizamann

« on: June 27, 2007, 10:28:20 AM »

My squash is getting unruly.  It's spreading laterally and shading my strawberries (we can't have that!) and choking the air conditioner (very inefficient!)  I do have the staking system on that box.  Do I aggressively tie up the vines?  Just grab, pull up, and tie to the metal bars?  It seems rude somehow.

I did harvest my first little side dish yesterday of 2 little pattypans and one gold bar, sauteed in olive oil and tossed with grated parmesan, salt and pepper.  Yum!  I hand-pollinated these particular fruits.  The ones I don't get to shrivel up.  I need bees!  So sad.
mgmoore7

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 05:29:53 PM »

I have grown squash a few times, both in the ground and in an EB.  I don't know how I would stakem them as the leaves, and fruit gets very heavy.  I think that this is one of those sprawling vegies that you need some room for.
Steve
The EarthBox

Northeast PA, zone 5

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 09:40:10 AM »

Agreed - giving them room is the best thing you can do.

If you still want to stake them though, here's what you have to do.  You need a strong staking support, as the fruits get heavy.  When a fruit develops and starts growing larger, you need to tie it off to the staking frame so that the frame supports all of the weight of the fruit, not the plant.  I did this last year with Butternut squash using a pair of giant sized panty hose.  I cut them into sections, made little mesh bags out of them, put the squash in the bag, and then tied the top of the bag to the frame, being sure that no extra pressure or tension was being placed on the plant.  It worked like a charm.

This same approach can be used for melons too if you's like.  It is more work, but I found it rather amusing seeing fruit wearing panty hose Cheesy

Steve
EarthBox
cushman350
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 07:02:12 PM »

Try something like bird netting to make a pouch and tie it off with twine or something.

Ken
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 07:09:21 PM by cushman350 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: