The EarthBox Forum
July 22, 2014, 11:03:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: CathyRose's first EB garden (update 8-30-11)  (Read 18081 times)
CathyRose

Owings, MD Zone 6-B

« on: May 31, 2011, 06:07:16 PM »

Actually my first anything garden. I have 7 EB's, 1 Square Foot Gardening 4x4 foot plot, and a large Grow Bag. I also put some of my left over seedlings in 10 inch plastic pots. The preparation of the garden area took me a while, as we have a lot of mature tree and not much space gets the sun. This area gets about 6 hours of good sun so I am hoping that will be enough. I had to level out the ground a little and then I put down paper and weed block, and covered it with many bags of hardwood mulching chips. Then because of our deer friends, I had to sink posts and put up 7 foot high deer netting. My sweet husband made me a nice gate with a threshold to keep the chips inside the enclosure.  I think I made 50 trips to my local Ace hardware. (they know my name now)
Here are a couple of photos. I will update as things get interesting.
Garden overview:

Another view:

Square Foot Garden:

Lettuce starts under shade cloth:

Potatoes tower:

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:40:11 PM by CathyRose » Logged
BarbaraP
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 05:38:22 PM »

Oh that looks so nice! I'll be waiting to see your future pix!
Rockporter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:28:57 PM »

Very nice first garden setup.  You should have great success!  Welcome to the forum.   Smiley
Kamisha100

Orlando, Florida Zone 9B

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:32:38 PM »

Hey Cathy,
Welcome to the forum, it looks like your off to a great start! Especially since this is your first Garden.
 I live with deer, and rabbits and all sorts of other nature friends as well.  I liked the fence door your Hubby made. Could you get more info on the constructions b/c mine started putting up a fence for me, but doesn't have a plan for how we will get in and out once the fence is in place.

Happy Gardening
Kamisha
tnmom66

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:47:04 AM »

Gorgeous! You are off to a wonderful start! Looking forward to updates!
minov

Central Connecticut- Zone 6

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 02:13:19 PM »

What a set up!  I can't wait till it starts producing and all your hard work pays off!

Mindy
CathyRose

Owings, MD Zone 6-B

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 03:47:25 PM »

Kamisha, DH really didn't use a plan for the garden gate. He just used some boards on hand. One thing he did do that I wouldn't have thought of, he made the gate, attached it to the right side post with hinges, then measured and dug the hole for the last garden post on the left. He said it was easier to do it that way than to make the gate fit the opening. So the gate is basically four boards screwed together to form a rectangle and one cross board diagonally placed for extra support. The deer netting is stapled on.
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!
CathyRose

Owings, MD Zone 6-B

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 06:14:10 PM »

Updating pics of my garden. Most everything seems to be coming along nicely. Thanks for looking!

Zucchini

You can see the large green raised bed at the end of the garden. It is 2 feet by 8 feet. I think some fall crops will go there, SFG style.

The first actual tomatoes to develop

the SFT plot (Roma tomatoes, Bush beans, marigolds,  peppers, radishes, sage, parsley, and beets.)

the cucumbers are starting to climb the trellis

potatoes are big but no blossoms yet

HighDesertGardener

Crispy brown thumb

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 07:17:27 PM »

Beautiful! What's your raised bed made from?

The High Desert: Where gardening conditions are perfect... for about two weeks a year.
CathyRose

Owings, MD Zone 6-B

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 08:47:43 PM »

Re: the raised beds.  The 4x4 is a "Frame It All" kit. Short story, I saw them at Home Depot and asked the clerk to get one down from a high shelf so I could see how much it cost. The price wasn't on the shelf. She scanned it and it came up  $.10. Yep. ten cents. She said because it scanned she had to sell it to us for that price but I could only get one at that price. The boards are made of recycled plastic material that will last for years.
The large raised bed at the end of the garden is made from boards that are 2 inch wide x 8 feet long and and 10 inches high. The size of the bed is 8x2 feet so I will have 16 more squares to plant. My DH insisted on painting it green. I spent this evening mixing and fill it up with growing mix.
tjeanpettit

USDA Zone 8, Western WA

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 09:27:52 PM »

Ten Cents !  Awesome price and your garden looks great.
acanfield
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 01:04:34 PM »

Your garden looks fantastic!  How deep is the square foot garden?  What kind of potting mix/soil did you use?
CathyRose

Owings, MD Zone 6-B

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 02:25:30 PM »

The SFG is 6 inches deep as suggested in Mel's book. I mixed up "Mel's Mix" as directed and used that. The big 8 foot book we haven't planted yet, I wimped out and filled it with Miracle Grow Mix. That one is about 10 inches deep. I am trying a few different things to see what works best for me.
Kamisha100

Orlando, Florida Zone 9B

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 03:06:18 PM »

Cathy
I benefited from that sale as well, but paid a bit more for those. I got the frame it all from HD for $10 each and bought all they had from two stores so I could double stack them. Ended up with four 4x8 beds. plus my 20 EBs I think it worked out well, But still feel like I need more! I am such an addict!
Happy Gardening
Kamisha
CathyRose

Owings, MD Zone 6-B

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 06:05:50 PM »

Kamisha, that is a real bargain you got. I would have loved to get more of them!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: