The EarthBox Forum
September 30, 2014, 03:51:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Seed Spoons for those TINY Seeds...  (Read 5048 times)
mjb8743

Zone 7, South NJ, Garden State

« on: January 27, 2011, 03:35:33 PM »

I found this in the Peaceful Valley/Grow Organic catalog:

...Use for those tiny seeds that are otherwise impossible to plant one at a time. Pack of two spoons contains a different size scoop on each end, providing four options for tiny to mid-size seeds (sizes are .030 .050 .075 and .100 inch). Allows you to pick up the right number of seeds, saving time and effort. Made of bright yellow polypropylene for visibility and controlled flexibility.  $3.99

http://www.groworganic.com/seed-spoons-pack-of-2.html

Mickie

* Seed Spoons.jpg (37.8 KB, 800x800 - viewed 235 times.)

111 EBs and growing... so how come there are never enough boxes??
the*blonded*one

Northeast Pennsylvania - Zone 5b

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 04:49:03 PM »

Did you know that EarthBox sells a MiniSeedmaster?
http://store.earthbox.com/Mini-Seedmaster/productinfo/1010325/
$2.99 + S&H

BER.... it just happens.
Rockdawg
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 07:37:02 PM »

Hi the*blonded*one,
     I can personally recommend this mini seeder. It makes planting the desired number of small seed very easy. The small price is well worth it. Not having to try to pick up tiny seeds with cold fingers is great.
Peace, Rockdawg
mjb8743

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 11:50:27 PM »

I have one of those Mini seeders, and I found that too many of the seeds came out. I also bought the vacuum-bulb type that sucks up just one seed, and found that too tedious since zeroing in on that 1 seed and having it stay on the tip was iffy. Over time, I think I've tried every one of these seeders on the market. I always go back to using tweezers to pick up the seed from my palm. The teensy ones I just sprinkle on the mix and plan on thinning out later. Sometimes when gripping a seed with the tweezer it would suddenly zing off into space, never to be seen again. The spoons seem to be worth trying for those smaller seeds.

The seeds I'm talking about are carrots, broccoli, cabbage (and other similar brassica seeds), onions, parsley, lettuce, and very tiny herb seeds (oregano, marjoram etc).

Mickie

Rockdawg
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »

Hey Mickie,
     I have better luck using it by holding it at about a 45 degree angle. It doesn't push as many seeds out at once. I usually drop the seeds into my palm and then tip them into their holes. I also broadcast into my SIPS most of the carrot , lettuce and other tiny seed then just lightly cover them, easier than individually placing each seed.
Peace, Rockdawg
cushman350
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 03:10:33 PM »

I just discovered a wooden k-bob skewer is a perfect tool for putting tomato seeds into their place. Use it to make a small hole in the wet germination media, it gets wet and when placed on a single seed, the seed readily sticks to to the point and can be placed into the hole and wiped off against the side of the hole. Then use the skewer to cover the seed. The wet wood has just enough moisture on it to gently transfer seeds from your palm to the peat pot. Neat!
acanfield
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »

Mickie

I  had to laugh when you said the seed on the tweezer went into outer space because a few of mine are orbitting out there with yours.  I bought a mini seeder from EB, and just tried to use it to put lettuce seeds in.  Unfortunately, due to poor technique I'm sure, when I pressed the plunger, the entire end popped off with a lot of seeds, which of course didn't go where I wanted them too.  I ended up moistening my finger, adhering a few seeds to it, and scraping them off into the hole. 

Maybe the spoons will work better. . .

Anita
John

Zone 5

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »

Cushman,
Very clever idea! The best one yet!
Now why didn't I think of that? Huh?

Pennsylvania Certified Horticulturist (PCH)
mjb8743

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 02:21:28 PM »

I just discovered a wooden k-bob skewer is a perfect tool for putting tomato seeds into their place. Use it to make a small hole in the wet germination media, it gets wet and when placed on a single seed, the seed readily sticks to to the point and can be placed into the hole and wiped off against the side of the hole. Then use the skewer to cover the seed. The wet wood has just enough moisture on it to gently transfer seeds from your palm to the peat pot. Neat!

I like that idea for the larger seeds like dill, tomatoes pepper, etc.... But for the really tiny seeds, smaller than a grain of table salt, the spoons should do the trick. The smallest size spoon is so small, I can barely see it. Oregano, mint and marjoram come in those glassine envelops inside the seed packet because they're so small. I can just stick the spoon in and scoop the 1 or 2 seeds I need.

Mickie

Perky

Bedford, VA; USDA Zone 7A

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 09:43:40 AM »

I like that idea for the larger seeds like dill, tomatoes pepper, etc.... But for the really tiny seeds, smaller than a grain of table salt, the spoons should do the trick. The smallest size spoon is so small, I can barely see it. Oregano, mint and marjoram come in those glassine envelops inside the seed packet because they're so small. I can just stick the spoon in and scoop the 1 or 2 seeds I need.

Mickie

Has anybody thought of, or tried, folding a white 3x5 inch card in half length-wise, pouring some of those little teeny tiny seeds onto that, and then using the k-bob skewer or chop-stick to poke the hole in the germinating media, etc?  This was a suggestion from a Master Gardener who was leading our Plant Propagation Lab last week.  Seems to me using a 3x5" card is a lot less expensive than some of the other options (other than the tweezer) and what doesn't get used from the 3x5 card easily slides back into the seed envelope.

I'm just puttin' it out there.

Linda
John

Zone 5

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 03:09:36 PM »

Hi Linda,
Thanks for posting!
Leave it to a fellow Master Gardener to come up with a simple, inexpensive great idea.  I especially like the idea of the seeds next to white paper.  It's easier for me to see!  My eyes are not getting any younger  Shocked

Pennsylvania Certified Horticulturist (PCH)
mjb8743

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 07:55:28 PM »

Update-- The spoons came in time to plant my oregano and mint. Those are really tiny seeds! Using the #3 end (smallest) it scooped ONE seed and I dumped it on the media. The #5 gave me 2 seeds. I'm happy as a piggy in sh.... slop! The $3.95 is one of the best investments out of all my gadgets.

I've done the folded paper/index card routine, along with the other 'tap-to-meter-out' seeders, and the problem is one of consistency. Unless your hand is rock steady and you tap out the exact same pressure, you will get a few one time and lots the next. It gets worse as you go along, seeding several flats. the arm and hand gets shaky after a time.

No thanks, but I'll stick with the very precise (and comfortable) spoons. I'm actually looking forward to seeding my carrots  Grin

Mickie

jbaldwinblkft

Zone 4 - High Desert of Southeastern Idaho

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 06:02:53 PM »

Oh, this item looks VERY cool.  I'll have to get them for my students to use.  Thanks . . . .
acanfield
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 06:23:48 PM »

I ordered the spoons, but they are backordered.   Sad
mjb8743

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 09:52:38 PM »

I ordered the spoons, but they are backordered.   Sad

They are also sold here:  http://www.victoryseeds.com/search.asp?keyword=seed+spoons&search=GO

http://www.earthlygoods.com/tools/seed_spoons.html

http://www.seedandgarden.com/shop/products/Seed-Spoons.html

http://davesgarden.com/products/market/view/6225/

Drawback is the shipping, but I won't care when I don't have to spend hours with tweezers trying to thin out clumps of sprouted seeds  Smiley

Mickie 

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: