The EarthBox Forum
October 30, 2014, 11:52:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Grow Box by Garden Patch  (Read 25663 times)
packman

« on: April 30, 2007, 03:49:13 PM »

Hello everyone,

My first time here.  My wife and I were interested in getting involved in this box gardening and were looking online to purchase some containers.  What we found was a fairly large price difference between the brand "Earthbox" and one from The Garden Patch called the "Grow Box."  We wondered if anyone has used the Grow Box and if was comparable to the Earthbox.  We also noted that with the Earthbox they mentioned including a bag of dolomite, which I didn't see included in the Grow Box.  How important is that?

Thanks,
Packman
gardngrl

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 04:04:25 PM »

I haven't had any experience with a "Grow Box" so you may find my response irrelevant, but I would ask this - does the "Grow Box" seem to have as dedicated a following as the Earthbox?  I discovered the EBs only a year ago and I have 16 already.  One of the reasons why I have continued to buy EBs instead of alternate brands or trying to make my own is the amazing success I have had with them, even when I've goofed.  Like my first three EBs, I didn't buy the EB potting mix and I, like many others, added potting soil instead.  And still the yields were suprising.  Then I switched to a big name brand of potting mix full of bark as filler.  I still had great success.  This year I've made my own potting mix based upon all of the great discussions posted in this forum and I cannot wait to see how great things do.  If you can find those kind of reviews for a "Grow Box" I will be surprised.  Also, I was a little weary about the dolomite when I first started out.  But it really does work.  I have not had a single split tomato in my EBs, which is more than I can say for the tomatoes my husband planted in our raised beds.  I hope you decide to invest in the EBs, I think you'll be very happy.
paul
Administrator

The Internet Zone

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 04:19:49 PM »

Hello everyone,

My first time here.  My wife and I were interested in getting involved in this box gardening and were looking online to purchase some containers.  What we found was a fairly large price difference between the brand "Earthbox" and one from The Garden Patch called the "Grow Box."  We wondered if anyone has used the Grow Box and if was comparable to the Earthbox.  We also noted that with the Earthbox they mentioned including a bag of dolomite, which I didn't see included in the Grow Box.  How important is that?

Thanks,
Packman
Welcome aboard,  I'm just the IT guy who runs this forum, but I'll give you my two cents...

I think you'll find that many cheaper products will break down in the UV light produced by the sun.  If you average the cost of the box over 10-15 years, they're really cheap! Dolomite is important for tomatoes, you'll find discussions here on its value in a fairly recent thread in this very section.

The EarthBox stands behind its products, and their performance.  The folks who frequent this forum are very helpful and friendly, I'd encourage you to browse through the older threads and look at the pictures in the "My EarthBox" board to see how folks are getting along with their boxes.  The number of people who order multiple boxes says a lot for the product IMO. 

If you browse the main www.earthbox.com site, you can read all the how and why stuff, as well as a few reviews and quotes (and order if you're so motivated.)

Paul

Deejo

Zone 9b, Brownsville, Texas

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 07:36:25 AM »

Welcome to the forum.
Although I cannot comment on the Grow Box, I can tell you I got 3 EB's about 9 years ago.  I am still using them - and have bought extras too.  They are hardy.  I live in South Texas where the sun is pretty brutal; and the boxes stay outside all year long.
Dee
ratchet

Creola, AL - Zone 8

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 10:23:04 AM »

I have 3 of the orig ebs and for about 3 or 4 years they have just sat in the elements all year round (in the deep south). When I found this forum I realized why my sucess had been less than favorable - do not use potting soil! Anyway, this year I cleaned them up, replaced the soil with mix and they are growing strong. I bought 3 more this year. The new design is better than the old and they come with wheels.

Now I have a grow box from the garden patch also. I like it. There are differences but the principle is the same. In honesty they don't seem to be quite as sturdy as the eb and they don't come with wheels. My plants are doing well. No it did not come with dolomite and I forgot to add any. Last year I grew tomatoes in large flower pots with mir. grow mix and had good sucess and I don't remember a problem with BER. I thought I might crush some egg shells and mix in the soil or if I see BER, I'll put some hydrated lime mixed with water into the resorvoir. I can't say how it will hold up compared to the eb as I just bought it this year and price was the factor.

Ratchet
nataj

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 06:36:44 PM »

I considered the GardenPatch also but not having wheels would be a big drag. I have 14 earthboxes on a raised deck away from deer and rabbits. I could not imagine not being able to move them around now and again. Also I might add that moving them on the wheel is a breeze, they roll very easily. I agree with the other foroum posters in that you get what you pay for.

nata
KayakerNC

Eastern North Carolina USA - Zone-8

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 01:03:30 PM »

I considered the GardenPatch also but not having wheels would be a big drag.

A wooden "caddy" is available at the Garden Dept at Wally World for around $6.

KayakerNC
Forum.Earthbox.com
PriusChat.com
TalkofTheVillages.com
Mt Clemens, MI
Newport, NC
paul
Administrator

The Internet Zone

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 12:17:11 AM »

I considered the GardenPatch also but not having wheels would be a big drag.
Grin Grin Grin Grin  That was funny!

Paul

csleung

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 08:36:51 PM »

I bought 3 garden patch grow boxes online this spring. There's actually a few negatives that I found about them. The price difference was only minor but the main reason why I chose them over the earth box was that their reservoirs held 4 gallons vs. the earthbox at 3 gallons. Unfortunately, I discovered several bad design flaws that made the garden patch much more inferior and negated the advantage of the extra gallon in the reservoir.
1. The grow box has a bottom compartment that holds the water and a top compartment that holds the soil. For shipping purposes I can see how this would be better since the bottom fits into the top and occupies less space. However the two pieces snap together, and once snapped together, are almost impossible to pull apart (and virtually impossible to return to the manufacturer). There are two additional issues I have with this design: once filled with water the bottom bulges on the sides, and if the bottom is filled with water and you want to lift and move the grow box, the bottom has a high potential to break off from the top piece.
2. The plastic mulch covering with the fertilizer strip that is provided with the grow box is a very thick plastic and once in place, it cut my seedlings' stems because it was so sharp.
3. The support structure offered by a garden patch for their grow boxes in theory looked like a good design except that it looks very cheaply made and is fussy and difficult to put together. The connectors are so stiff that it is very difficult to fit the poles in. It also took me over one hour to assemble one, which is 45 min. too long to have to spend on one support structure.

After this fiasco, I then bought 3 earthboxes and am happy with them. In terms of vegetable growing performance, they seem to be about the same. I like the one piece design of the earthboxes with the screen that fits inside and I like the covers. I'm not 100 percent on the earthbox supports--I think they're great for pole beans but I prefer cage-like supports for tomatos.

Hope this answers your question--stick to earthboxes.

workout66

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 12:24:47 PM »

Greetings,
though I see that this topic was posted some time ago, I hop that u receive this response.  I myself have purchased both the Earthbox and the Growbox some years ago and I have to say that the Growbox is Neck to Neck when it compares to the Earthbox. My vegetables grew like crazy and I was not in need of the Dolemite as is said with the Earthbox. The patch that they give with the Growbox does excellent for the whole growing period.
I would recommend the Growbox for Cheaper purposes as well.
Deb

The Pacific NorthWE'T - Sunset - W. Climate Zone 6

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 11:55:18 PM »

When I compared the two boxes I thought they were about the same price.

I don't like the heavy looking fertilizer cover of the Grow Box, or the fact that I'd have to reorder it every year.

With EarthBox I can go organic and choose my own placement for the plants.

I think the EarthBox looks more expensive when you look at the complete kit that comes with the potting mix, dolomite, and fertilizer.  But if you find those items locally, it works out a lot more reasonably.  I've also ordered in multiples of 3 or 5 which gets me a discount, and I watch for sales.  If I keep all I ordered from the Earth Day sale, I'm up to 30 EarthBoxes now and my kids have 5 and 9 and they are gushing with joy over them in different parts of the country.

I don't understand why the Grow Box would do well without using dolomite, since its purpose is to treat the acidity of the potting media and has nothing to do with the box.

Deb
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: