The EarthBox Forum
July 30, 2014, 03:00:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Cantaloupe growing  (Read 5788 times)
mhodges64

Southern Idaho

« on: January 26, 2010, 01:04:21 PM »

Last year I planted Cantaloupe in my EB. The problem I had was that the runners were extremely long and then did not produce many good melons. Is there a way I can trim back the runners to help improve my crop?
gardendoc

Ocean Springs, MS Zone 9a

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 08:23:14 PM »

You can prune the vines to some extent and try to encourage some branching.  I suspect your vines were in luxury consumption mode from too much fertilization.  You get great vegetative growth at the expense of reproductive growth because of the excess nutrients.  Just my guess. 

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. Gerald Ford

Be the fountain, not the drain
pborder

Zone 6 Ky

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 04:43:14 PM »

You can prune the vines to some extent and try to encourage some branching.  I suspect your vines were in luxury consumption mode from too much fertilization.  You get great vegetative growth at the expense of reproductive growth because of the excess nutrients.  Just my guess. 

OK so what do you do about that?   Last year I planted cantaloupe using the directions that came with my EB and the supplies that came with it. I also got lots of green and not one single melon.  I got just a few flowers.  It was very disappointing.  I won't be growing them again unless I can figure out what went wrong and how to fix it.
acanfield
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:04:14 PM »

Last year I also was very disappointed in melons.  I got three mini watermelons (that were supposed to be fullsize) and no cantaloupes either.  I'm definitely skipping melons in the future. 
superjono

Dallas Texas zone 8a

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:20:06 PM »

Last year I grew Cantaloupe, and it is a very attractive looking plant.
I trained my plants up, but didn't Tye them. Gravity pulled them off the vine so they didn't have enough time to ripe and get sweet.

We must become the change we want to see ~Mahatma Gandhi
bobk

West, Central FL - Zone 9b

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 09:45:12 AM »

I have had some good crops of Cantaloupes in the EB, try different varieties, some do better than others.

Sowing outside the box but still in the box.
Fldeb

central Florida - zone 9

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »

Last year I grew cantaloupe and off of the one plant, I only got two melons.  They were the best tasting melons though, lots and lots of flavor.  I'm going to try again this year.  I think my problem was the lack of pollination. 
weedbreeder
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 01:12:10 PM »

Anyone have experience with Honey Dews? I'm planning on growing them this spring.
Jim
bobk

West, Central FL - Zone 9b

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 01:38:26 PM »

Anyone have experience with Honey Dews? I'm planning on growing them this spring.
Jim

I have not tried since they are best grown where the humidity and rainfall is low, which is not my area.  You might try to grow a variety that has disease resistance, that might help, good luck.

Sowing outside the box but still in the box.
mjb8743

Zone 7, South NJ, Garden State

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 12:54:12 AM »

Jim

This last year I grew, from seed, a honeydew variety "Creme de Menthe",  82 days,  www.superseeds.com
I had lots of lush foliage, trailing vines, and several melons that grew to a good 8-9" dia. The flavor was superb! They were sweet and very juicy. Since I wasn't sure when to harvest, several developed splits. If unsure, I would look for the beginnings of small cracks, then harvest before the bugs move in. It resisted the ravages of powdery mildew. I loaded up on more seed, and am planting it again this year.

Two cantaloupes I like are:  "Alaska", 65 days, a large single-person melon and "Hannah's Choice", 87 days, large 2-person melons.  http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsOrderList.php?SeedName= This plant is resistant to just about every disease possible, and yummy to boot.

Here, in South Jersey, summers are very humid and can be fairly hot (90's) for extended periods, but 80's mostly. I did notice that the fruit that trailed to the shadier side of the box had less fruit than the sunnier side.

Mickie
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:01:52 AM by mjb8743 » Logged

111 EBs and growing... so how come there are never enough boxes??
weedbreeder
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 09:55:59 AM »

Thanks for the information, Bobk and Mickie
     Planting honeydew is one of my honey do's this spring.
Jim
PaulB

Southeast New Mexico, zone 7

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 01:15:39 AM »

If there are lots of leaves but few or no fruits, fertilizer may be your culprit.  Nitrogen, the first number in the fertilizer description, is great for growing grass and anything with lots of leaves (lettuce, etc.), but not so good with fruit.  Think of the three numbers as NPK, nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus.  A higher phosphorus number is what you need for accelerated blooms and fruit. It also helps the roots, as does the potassium.  Potassium also aids in cold hardiness in plants.

So, use a fertilizer such as 10-5-8 in leafy vegetables, and 8-5-10 or some similar ratio on plants such as tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, etc. where you are looking for larger non-leafy produce.

mjb8743

Zone 7, South NJ, Garden State

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 01:47:10 AM »

If there are lots of leaves but few or no fruits, fertilizer may be your culprit.  Nitrogen, the first number in the fertilizer description, is great for growing grass and anything with lots of leaves (lettuce, etc.), but not so good with fruit.  Think of the three numbers as NPK, nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus.  A higher phosphorus number is what you need for accelerated blooms and fruit. It also helps the roots, as does the potassium.  Potassium also aids in cold hardiness in plants.

So, use a fertilizer such as 10-5-8 in leafy vegetables, and 8-5-10 or some similar ratio on plants such as tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, etc. where you are looking for larger non-leafy produce.

Are you sure about that 8-5-10  Huh?
For fruiting, wouldn't you want a higher P than N?

I use 5-10-10 for almost everything. If I need the extra nitrogen for leafy stuff or heavy feeders such as corn, then I use 10-10-10. It has worked well for me.

Mickie

111 EBs and growing... so how come there are never enough boxes??
Donald1800

Fontana, CA Zone 8

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 05:06:33 PM »

mjb8743:
It is my opinion that you are correct.  Especially if you are trying to maximize the Brix reading.

Donald1800
PaulB

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 02:36:25 AM »

Mickie and Donald, you are correct.  In double checking my research, I mispoke when I recommended a low P ratio, for this second number is the one that is most important when it comes to flowering and fruiting.  The third or K number affects heat, cold, and drought tolerance and is important in root growth.  My mistake.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: