The EarthBox Forum
September 02, 2014, 09:59:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: black spots on bottom of tomatoes  (Read 7132 times)
freddieG

« on: July 08, 2009, 10:41:15 PM »

HELP!!!!!! This is my second season using EarthBoxes. Last year and this year I have the same problem with my tomatoes.  They develop black spots on the bottom before they ripen.  Last year I grew beefsteak tomatoes and this year plum tomatoes.  Would someone let me know what I am doing wrong.  I have followed the directions to the tee.  My plants look great.  Real bushy and very healthy looking.
gardendoc

Ocean Springs, MS Zone 9a

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:12:33 PM »

Sounds like BER to me.  Lots of discussion lately on corrective steps.  You are not doing anything wrong, BER happens. 

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. Gerald Ford

Be the fountain, not the drain
boxed-in

Sedona, Arizona, Zone 6

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:18:12 PM »

Hi freddieG, and welcome!  I've been having the same problem, and there's been a lot of discussion on the Forum about it recently.  Sounds like your tomatoes are suffering from BER (blossom end rot).  Put that in as a Search term at the top of the page, and you should be directed to lots of info. 

What I've learned from reading comments on the Forum is that the problem can be quickly remedied by adding calcium.  I think it's 1/4 cup of hydrated lime per gallon of water, mixed and then poured into the watering tube.  I think it's standard practice to remove the damaged fruit.  I did, since the affected tomatoes were still very small, and I want the plant's resources to be directed to the healthy fruits.  Since I added the calcium, no more tomatoes on my plants show any sign of BER.  I don't want to steer you wrong, so check what others have advised.  Apparently it is important not to add too much calcium.   

Good luck!   Cool
JB

Springfield, VA z7 New AWS - it's working! 8/13/09

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 11:18:29 PM »

Did you have the problem throughout the growing season, or just at the beginning?  (And I second the above.  I just did the hydrated lime treatment (1/4 c. to 1 gal. one time only), though if I'd had calcium nitrate on hand and been better prepared, I would have done that.)

JB
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:20:46 PM by JB » Logged

~~ thought it was time to add a picture of my pooch to the ranks :-)  ~~
freddieG

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:32:55 AM »

Thanks to all for the advise.  I went online after I posted to research the problem.  I came up with the same info that you guys gave me.  I especially realized after I saw some pictures of the BER. I wasn't able to find a decent solution on the web.  I am happy that I have a solution from someone in the Earthbox family.   I am going out this morning to take care of my tomatoes.  I will post my results later.  Thanks everyone!  Smiley
PJinOH

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 08:36:08 AM »

I conducted a search regarding this issue as, as a first-time/beginner gardener myself, I was encountering the same problem.  To add to the already awesome knowledgeable folks on this site (many thanks for your wisdom), I also heard that one can crush up Tums with Calcium and add to the tomato plants soil.  I tried this and it seemed to 'reduce' the problem but not completely eliminate it.  I've trashed only 3 tomato's thus far but I think I'll try the other recommendations, as well.  Again, many thanks to all the wisdom shared! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: