The EarthBox Forum
December 21, 2014, 11:38:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Pick your Tomatoes at first blush  (Read 38670 times)
LavendulaFleur

So Cal (The Valley) Zone 10

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 05:04:39 PM »

I have cherry tomatoes growing in clusters.  Would I need to wait for all of the tomatoes to be blushing, or just the first one?  They seem to blush one by one Wink
Mine are doing the same thing!

I've been picking them, one at a time, when one *blushes*.
 Smiley
psh

Texas Coast Zone 9a

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 08:18:12 PM »

I just pick my cherry tomatoes as they begin to blush. You don't need to pinch off the whole branch. Just pull on the tomatoes that you want to pick and they will come off easily enough. Then, if they haven't turned ripe yet, just set them on the counter and they will be ripe in a couple of days.

Philip

I'll never trust the Walrus or the Carpenter again.
MacSmiley

Howdy from Zone 4b in South Dakota!

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 11:32:44 PM »

Does picking the tomatoes "early" actually do anything for the plant? You know, like stimulate further production of (blossoms, and therefore) fruit?    Roll Eyes

"You learn something old every day." ~ Mr. McFeely

kathy
Horticulturalist
The EarthBox

The mountains of PA Zone 5, almost 4.

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 12:28:53 PM »

Does picking the tomatoes "early" actually do anything for the plant? You know, like stimulate further production of (blossoms, and therefore) fruit?    Roll Eyes
This  just starts the anxiety separation earlier.......I am kidding, I don't think it will make any significant difference.

kath, gardening is my game,  over 45 years in the business.
bdobs

SF Bay Area 8b

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 12:18:37 PM »

Not for tomatoes, but it does for peppers
acanfield
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 08:07:57 AM »

Have picked a bunch of blushing cherry tomatoes in the last few days -- impatiently waiting for them to ripen.  The ones I've tried have been delicious.
acanfield
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 10:04:11 PM »

I've decided I don't know what first blush.  I picked some cherry tomatoes that were no longer green, they were sort of yellow/orange.   I thought that was first blush.  I've been waiting several days for them to turn red, but all that is happening is that they are getting softer.  I tasted them, and they taste ok, but they don't look like the ones that have ripened on the plant.

Can someone tell me what first blush looks like color-wise?

LavendulaFleur

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 02:46:25 PM »

The article says:

“Until frost is in the forecast, I recommend always harvesting tomatoes when they show the first blush of red color,”

I've been picking when the tomato starts to turn its respective color (orange, red, yellow, purple) and seem to be doing ok.

Is that what everyone else does?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 06:05:48 PM by LavendulaFleur » Logged
acanfield
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 10:27:36 PM »

That makes more sense to me than picking them when they turn from green to some color other than red -- when they are red tomatoes.  Live and learn.  Fortunately I didn't pick too many yellowish/orange ones.
faquinteros

Humboldt Park, Chicago, Zone 5

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »

I'm trying this out too.  So far so good.  I picked my cherry tomatoes when they turned anything but green at any little spot and they're just the same as the ones i let ripen on the vine (i kept some on as a control).  i plucked a cherokee purple today so i'll give it a few days and see how it does.  i'm basically only doing this because i'm bored.  i have no squirrels or birds ever on my roof, but i wanted to see if they taste the same.
cushman350
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 03:13:16 PM »

I've decided I don't know what first blush.  I picked some cherry tomatoes that were no longer green, they were sort of yellow/orange.   I thought that was first blush.  I've been waiting several days for them to turn red, but all that is happening is that they are getting softer.  I tasted them, and they taste ok, but they don't look like the ones that have ripened on the plant.

Maybe the cherry tomatoes are different, I've never had a regular tomato go soft before ripening that was a healthy tomato.
Kamisha100

Orlando, Florida Zone 9B

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 12:53:17 PM »

I am ready to weigh in on the early picking. I will most definitely make this a practice. I don't find that I have lost any flavor. I have been doing it with about 50-75% blush, seems to work pretty well. The other huge benefit is I Can get to them before the birds. Yet another is that I experience less splitting on the maters especially with the purple Cherokee and my yellow pears. With the sweet 100's, I can barely keep up with the ripe ones, so those are pretty ripe when picked. I like it!
Happy Gardening Folks!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 12:55:39 PM by Kamisha100 » Logged
gardendoc

Ocean Springs, MS Zone 9a

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 12:58:34 PM »

i plucked a cherokee purple today so i'll give it a few days and see how it does.  i'm basically only doing this because i'm bored. 

You must really be bored to pick a tomato a little early to watch it ripen

“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.” – Gerald Ford

Be the fountain, not the drain
LavendulaFleur

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 03:02:58 PM »

i plucked a cherokee purple today so i'll give it a few days and see how it does.  i'm basically only doing this because i'm bored. 

You must really be bored to pick a tomato a little early to watch it ripen

gardendoc,

I'm confused.

Are you being facetious or...?   Huh?
MacSmiley

Howdy from Zone 4b in South Dakota!

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »

gardendoc is definitely nudging faquinteros's ribs with his elbow. Wink

"You learn something old every day." ~ Mr. McFeely

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: