The EarthBox Forum
April 19, 2014, 11:11:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are these white spots on my Okra normal?  (Read 10565 times)
kittyhawk63
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »

Here is a post from a website dealing with plant diseases.

http://www.archive.org/stream/manualofplantdis031700mbp/manualofplantdis031700mbp_djvu.txt

13. Exudations. The forcing out of water or cell sap upon free sur-
faces is a normal physiological process in many leaves (guttation), and
bleeding from the cut ends of stem or branches may be expected in many
cases, but in certain diseases the abnormal oozing out of watery or slimy
products which may or may not set into hard masses is a very striking
symptom. The character of the exudate varies with the nature of the
causal factors and the peculiarities of the affected plants.

kh63
gardendoc

Ocean Springs, MS Zone 9a

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 06:40:39 PM »

I am putting my 2-cents in that the clear spots are two spotted spider mite eggs.  They tend to lay in random arrangements on the undersides and shady parts of the plant. 

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. Gerald Ford
gardendoc

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 08:10:20 PM »

What, no more takers  Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh?

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. Gerald Ford
tag

Fleming Island, Fl. Zone 8

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 08:48:14 PM »

What, no more takers  Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Grin When you all started talking exudations and two spotted spider mites you're way above my paygrade. Grin
CeaseFire

North Central Mississippi - Zone 7b

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »

You've heard the joke:

What's that white stuff in bird poop?
Answer: bird poop

What are those white spots on okra?
Answer: okra
kittyhawk63
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 10:13:24 PM »

What's that white stuff in bird poop?
Answer: bird poop

Eewh!!!

What are those white spots on okra?
Answer: okra

Huh???
gardendoc

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 10:45:10 PM »

It's a southern thang. 

kittyhawk63
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 12:20:15 AM »

It's a southern thang. 

Ewee. Duz ewe meen it cumz out ovtha southend?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 11:55:03 PM by kittyhawk63 » Logged
Florida EBers

Zones 9/10 - Sarasota, Fl

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 07:12:43 PM »

Since I live in Sarasota and am growing okra I decided to check mine (Okra) out, sure enough there are spots on them.  These spots are clear though and not white.  As can be seen in pictures they are on bottom of leaves and on stems.  I picked some off and looked at them with magnifying glass and don't appear to be an alien lifeform, maybe some kind of secretion from plant?

I think what LeggoLamb describes is the same as what my plants have.  His looks more clear but otherwise is the same.  Could be any of the things mentioned but I think it's harmless, whatever it is.  The plants are doing great.

Kat
tag

Fleming Island, Fl. Zone 8

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 09:28:43 AM »

I happened to find this question while I was looking for something else. I'm wondering if the white spots were clear them dried to white.

Q. Small drops of liquid are oozing from various areas on the leaves and stems of my okra plants. What causes this?
A. The liquid is natural secretions from the glands on the leaves and stems of the okra plant. The process is natural and causes no damage.

I have the clear drops on my okra plants and my plants are doing just fine.
lathyrus_odoratus

Zone 5A

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 09:43:38 PM »

The original poster (and a few others) were all wondering about these.

They are totally normal.  They are slightly larger than a grain of sand, look primarily clear (but can be thought of as white) and are part of how okra grows.  Totally normal, though if you haven't grown it before, terrifying!  The first time I saw them, I freaked, too.  I haven't yet determined why okra does it, but it seems that it's a function of how well the plant is growing.  A plant that is unhappy will not have them.  (Ask me how I know....)

So, no mites, no scale...but now that you know what this looks like, if something else comes and it looks slightly different, watch it, take pictures, etc.
LoneStarKayaker

Southeast Texas Zone 9/8

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 12:13:48 AM »

The white spots might be honeydew ( waste) from aphids. Usually, you will see ants who harvest this waste.
I have never grown okra with out seeing aphids, their honey due and the ants who harvest it.
lathyrus_odoratus

Zone 5A

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 05:01:17 AM »

Just occurred to me that I'm making an assumption about the original poster's wording - white spots.  I guess I'd describe them more like gel beads or clear beads, or even eggs.  But, that just goes to show how odd they are - there really isn't an easy way to describe them! 

Okra plants grown inside, without any ants, have these "things" on them.  They look like clear, large grains of sand - feel that way, too.  I wish I knew the purpose or the scientific name, but I do not.  I've done several searches to try to name the scientific process that is happening, but only find many references to the fact that it's normal and may be related to sap in some way.  Here is a picture of what they look like.  This is perfectly normal.

I'm emailing my extension service just to find out what the scientific process/name for this is.
LeggoLamb

Sarasota, FL 9b

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »

Last picture referenced is what my okra looks like, plants are very healthy.

Without Genesis 1:1 there can be no John 3:16
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: