The EarthBox Forum
October 20, 2014, 10:08:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dolomite?  (Read 6916 times)
newFLgrower

Zone 9 East Coast FL

« on: February 14, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »

I am thinking about ordering a couple more EB's just by themselves, without the fertilizer and dolomite. Do all plants need the dolomite or just the tomatoes? Are there any places other than from EB where dolomite can be purchased?

tag

Fleming Island, Fl. Zone 8

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:12:06 AM »

With few exceptions (like blueberries) most plants require the dolomite. You can buy dolomite at any garden center. Sometimes it is hard to find but just keep looking. Always buy the powder dolomite not the granuled lawn lime.
bobk

West, Central FL - Zone 9b

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:24:05 AM »

Check your local Home Depot for Sunniland 50 Lbs. Dolomite Lime for $4.29.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 06:28:41 PM by bobk » Logged

Sowing outside the box but still in the box.
mjb8743

Zone 7, South NJ, Garden State

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 04:00:05 PM »

I am thinking about ordering a couple more EB's just by themselves, without the fertilizer and dolomite. Do all plants need the dolomite or just the tomatoes? Are there any places other than from EB where dolomite can be purchased?

Specifically, dolomite is agricultural, or garden lime that contains both CALCIUM & MAGNESIUM. It can be in pelleted form or powdered/pulverized. Unless you want to spend your days with a blender grinding up the pellets, buy the pulverized. Check the ingredients label, and look for the calcium and magnesium. It might even say dolomitic lime, but not always. Generally, any garden center should have it. Even if it only comes in 50 lb bags, the cost (~$4.00) is so low, get it anyway and have a lifetime supply.

Mickie

111 EBs and growing... so how come there are never enough boxes??
kathy
Horticulturalist
The EarthBox

The mountains of PA Zone 5, almost 4.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 11:37:54 AM »

I just had a meeting with the Espoma people, their pelletized lime , called garden lime will breeakdown within a few days, no need for the blender!  And I would use dolomite in all boxes used for growing seeded vegetables!

kath, gardening is my game,  over 45 years in the business.
bdobs

SF Bay Area 8b

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 01:02:12 PM »

Good to hear Kathy.
I LOVE the Espoma products, and I just picked up a couple of bags of the Garden Lime for my boxes.
TomatoTone for my Maters, and Gardentone for my other Veggis.
The way the stuff smells, ITS gotta be good Smiley
airangel

Tucson, Arizona USA-----Zone 8/8a

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 07:03:56 PM »

On the pelleted lime....other than the Espoma brand, you think all will break down in short time?

My Home Depot doesn't carry the #50 Suniland brand or anything besides a 5lb bag of Organic pelleted Garden Lime, so pickens are slim here. I grabbed it just in case I can't locate anything at Lowes.  I want to add some to my raised 3x3x3 bed before I plant in that as well.

Currently have 8 EBs & 2 Jrs
mjb8743

Zone 7, South NJ, Garden State

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 12:20:24 AM »

In general, pelleted lime takes too long to break down to be useful in your EB. The exception is the Espoma. You either need to grind it yourself, or locate some pulverized lime elsewhere. Don't you have any nurseries or hardware/garden supply stores such as Ace Hardware?

Mickie

111 EBs and growing... so how come there are never enough boxes??
airangel

Tucson, Arizona USA-----Zone 8/8a

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 12:23:28 AM »

Hey Mickie
 Yes, have an ACE. Later today I'll be  heading to Lowe's to look for the Exterior tape for the damaged box as well. I just looked at the 5 lb bag and it IS Espoma, garden lime, organic. http://www.espoma.com/im/org_t_lime.jpgSo this will work out then, whew  Grin
 Thanks again
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:26:47 AM by airangel » Logged

Currently have 8 EBs & 2 Jrs
kathy
Horticulturalist
The EarthBox

The mountains of PA Zone 5, almost 4.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 11:36:20 AM »

For one of the first times, I am on opposite sides with Mickie. It is my belief that all pelletized will breakdown quickly and can be used. Stay away from granular that takes up to two years to breakdown.

kath, gardening is my game,  over 45 years in the business.
KayakerNC

Eastern North Carolina USA - Zone-8

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 12:09:24 PM »

For one of the first times, I am on opposite sides with Mickie. It is my belief that all pelletized will breakdown quickly and can be used. Stay away from granular that takes up to two years to breakdown.

The Instructions and the FAQ's say to use 2 cups of Dolomite or Hydrated Lime.
There seems to be some disagreement as to the suitability of Hydrated Lime in the EB.  See the Water PH thread:
http://forum.earthbox.com/index.php?topic=2792.15

Is it....or is it not the same?Huh?

KayakerNC
Forum.Earthbox.com
PriusChat.com
TalkofTheVillages.com
Mt Clemens, MI
Newport, NC
Donald1800

Fontana, CA Zone 8

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 07:40:32 PM »

As was stated in the other thread, they are definitely NOT the same, and the application rates are significantly different.  Of all of the forms of lime available, hydrated lime/quick lime are forms I will not use in my garden as they are way too caustic - unhealthy for humans and difficult to disperse evenly unless mixed with other DRY ingredients before mixing into the potting mix.  Being very hygroscopic (draws moisture quickly), it will clump up almost as soon as it has hit the moist potting mix.

Donald1800
cmayes71

Tennessee, zone 7

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 05:02:37 PM »

I purchased a 40 lb bag of dolomitic lime at lowes today for 2.97.  It was hard to find.  I had to ask three people before they knew what I was talking about.  It is labeled garden lime and was in the outside area in the very back.  It is pulverized. 

Cindy
KayakerNC

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 05:07:12 PM »

As was stated in the other thread, they are definitely NOT the same, and the application rates are significantly different.  Of all of the forms of lime available, hydrated lime/quick lime are forms I will not use in my garden as they are way too caustic - unhealthy for humans and difficult to disperse evenly unless mixed with other DRY ingredients before mixing into the potting mix.  Being very hygroscopic (draws moisture quickly), it will clump up almost as soon as it has hit the moist potting mix.

Donald1800

I already know your position.
I would like the EB folks to update their FAQ's and Instructions in a timely manner.

KayakerNC
Forum.Earthbox.com
PriusChat.com
TalkofTheVillages.com
Mt Clemens, MI
Newport, NC
KayakerNC

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 05:10:56 PM »

I purchased a 40 lb bag of dolomitic lime at lowes today for 2.97.  It was hard to find.  I had to ask three people before they knew what I was talking about.  It is labeled garden lime and was in the outside area in the very back.  It is pulverized. 
Cindy

I don't suppose you noticed the Lowes Item Number? 

KayakerNC
Forum.Earthbox.com
PriusChat.com
TalkofTheVillages.com
Mt Clemens, MI
Newport, NC
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: