The EarthBox Forum
December 20, 2014, 11:45:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the Earthbox and The Garden Patch Box made of safe plastic? Non PVC leeching?  (Read 5294 times)
MichaelSage

« on: January 30, 2009, 02:51:05 PM »

After contacting both companys 3 times I still am unable to get an answer regarding what type (number) plastic these Garden Patch Boxes or Earthboxes are made out of. I want to make sure that I'm not planting into something that is going to leech pvc poisons into my tomato plants. I've contacted Earthbox and they have no answer and the garden patch company simply says that its the same pvc that is used on cutting boards so they "must be safe" I can find no number on any of my boxes.

Can anyone help me?
THANKS!
Michael
John

Zone 5

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 08:34:48 AM »

Hi Mike,
I have never heard or saw reference to the type of plastic the Garden Patch Box is made of.  Maybe someone will respond.

Pennsylvania Certified Horticulturist (PCH)
stephguida

Montclair, NJ (Northern NJ-Zone 6/7)

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:45:36 AM »

I just called the # on the website.  They weren't able to answer but gave me another # to call.  I spoke to a woman there who stated the plastic used is "food grade polypropylene plastic, the same plastic used in milk jugs".

jimsocal

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 07:16:05 PM »

Thanks for this answer. It seems the Earthbox company would have / should have known this... Guess they lucked out that it is said not to have PVC poison...
Larry

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 07:49:24 PM »

The designers knew what type of plastic is required.  They just don't talk to the Marketing people.  Designers are a strange lot..  I know..

Larry Jenkins
kathy
Horticulturalist
The EarthBox

The mountains of PA Zone 5, almost 4.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 02:58:22 PM »

Sorry I did not think this post was about EarthBox, but was more about Grow-box. So I did not respond. All of our customer service advocates know that our box is made from food-grade safe plastic, so I am shocked if you are referring to our gals. (however, we do use a call center for order processing and maybe they didn't know the answer) Anyway our box is food quality safe and if you had a big enough mircrowave you could cook in our box. It's a polypropolene number 5 for you techies.

kath, gardening is my game,  over 45 years in the business.
plantboy

Zone 9B - near Orlando

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 06:48:43 PM »

Yes that was my guess - PP #5. So no PVC and no need to worry about BPA either.

The type of plastic was one reason I went with the EB over alternatives. In hydroponics a lot of the growing trays are made out of #6 plastic, polystyrene, and this is not good either as it does leach some bad stuff. I have never heard anything bad about #2, #4, or #5, however.

LavendulaFleur

So Cal (The Valley) Zone 10

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 07:36:57 PM »

Yes that was my guess - PP #5. So no PVC and no need to worry about BPA either.

The type of plastic was one reason I went with the EB over alternatives. In hydroponics a lot of the growing trays are made out of #6 plastic, polystyrene, and this is not good either as it does leach some bad stuff. I have never heard anything bad about #2, #4, or #5, however.

Good to know!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: