The EarthBox Forum
November 01, 2014, 05:24:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How long do tomato plants last?  (Read 5198 times)
vonkamp
« on: July 13, 2006, 04:36:12 PM »

I've had mine since April and they have put out a huge number of delicious tomatos. Lately, the plants are looking a little rough though it still has new growth. However, the tomato output is greatly reduced. I did the lime trick that Steve reccommended. I did that three weeks ago but no positive change. Are they just old, too hot (I live in north Florida), or sick?
Thanks,
vonkamp
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 04:38:40 PM by vonkamp » Logged
Ratrace142

Virginia in Zone 7

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 07:27:01 PM »

Steve told me that high temps and humidity do a number on plants. Here in Zone 7 in Virginia I've had high temperatures and humidity plus a heat index of 104-105 degrees.

That might be your problem.

As I recall, we had more produce coming in when it was cooler back in the days of my step-father's garden.
mjb8743

Zone 7, South NJ, Garden State

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 08:40:40 PM »

I bought Spray-n-Grow, and used it once on my other container veggies... it seemed to work well.. I think the plants all had a growth spurt then. Laziness has set in... I should be using on all my EB stuff. Here's the link... there's too much to write here. I think it may solve several folks' problems since it is a foliar treatment that bypasses the need to uptake nutrients & calcium through the roots. Read on:

http://www.spray-n-growgardening.com/?html=full&data=tips&key=24&ndkey=tips_basics

and a fertilizer to use with it for your other containers that don't have 'the strip'.

http://www.spray-n-growgardening.com/?html=full&data=tips&key=10&ndkey=tips_basics

This weekend I'll spray everything... I promise  Wink

111 EBs and growing... so how come there are never enough boxes??
Steve
The EarthBox

Northeast PA, zone 5

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 08:47:30 AM »

I'd be interested in hearing more about the foliar spray, since most reports I've read over the past year seem to indicate that it seldom works. 

I like to think of it in this way -- If I'm hungry, is it better for me to get food into my stomach through my mouth or have my family throw steaks, potatoes, and beans all over my skin, just hoping for the best  Grin

Steve
EarthBox
Jagcatfan

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 10:31:57 AM »

Von I live in North Florida also. I planted my tomato plants the week before Easter and so far have picked 78 tomatoes.  I have about 15 more on the vines.  I was experiencing a problem with blossom drop and I started brushing the blossoms with a brush and they are lasting and yesterday I sprayed them with a blossom drop spray.  I probably have about as many new blossoms as tomatoes I have already picked.  Now I am just waiting so see if any fruit develops.  Will keep you posted. Smiley
mjb8743

Zone 7, South NJ, Garden State

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 12:06:05 PM »

Steve-

Virginia Cooperative Extension"
Foliar Feeding of Plant Nutrients
Virginia Vegetable, Small Fruit and Specialty Crops
November 2002; Volume 1, Issue 11
Charlie O'Dell, Ext. Horticulturist Emeritus, Virginia Tech

<<For many years, horticulturists and agronomists have largely subscribed to the belief that foliar feeding of plant nutrients is an idea of dubious merit>>

<<Dramatic and fast correction of such nutrient deficiencies are generally always seen from such foliar applications. >>

<<Dr. H.B. Tukey, renowned plant researcher and Head of Michigan State University's Department of Horticulture back in the 1950's, working with research colleague S.H. Wittwer at MSU, first proved conclusively that foliar feeding of plant nutrients really works. Researching possible peaceful uses of atomic energy in agriculture, they used radio-active phosphorous and radio-potassium to spray plants, then measured with a Geiger counter, the absorption, movement and utilization of these and many other nutrients within plants. They found plant nutrients moved at the rate of about one foot per hour to all parts of the plants. Comparing efficiency of plant use of foliar-fed nutrients versus soil-applied nutrients near roots, they found foliar feeding provided about 95 percent efficiency of use compared to about 10 percent of use from soil applications! Likewise, speed of absorption and use by foliar applications was immediate, whereas from soil applications absorption and plant use both were very slow, thus providing a major benefit of foliar feeding where a specific plant nutrient deficiency may exist, be it major or minor plant nutrient. >>

<<.....this very important finding was published, but only in research journals and symposia proceedings. These findings rarely found their way into the ranks of Extension educators or their grower-focused publications and other teaching materials or programs. >>

The full article:
http://www.ext.vt.edu/news/periodicals/commhort/2002-11/2002-11-03.html

Another informative article (in Acrobat PDF format):

<<Foliar applications are often timed to coincide with specific vegetative or fruiting stages of growth, and the fertilizer formula is adjusted accordingly. Applications may also be used to aid plants in recovery from transplant shock, hail damage, or the results of other weather extremes. In terms of nutrient absorption, foliar fertilization can be from 8 to 20 times as efficient as ground application (1). However, this efficiency is not always achieved in actual practice. Often, failures result from inattention to the principles of foliar feeding?>>

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/PDF/foliar.pdf

I hope this helps...
Mickie

111 EBs and growing... so how come there are never enough boxes??
Steve
The EarthBox

Northeast PA, zone 5

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 01:17:32 PM »

Thanks Mickie!

That's great information to have.  Having done work using radioisotopes in the past, information like this makes me much more of a believer. 

I still would be cautious about recommending just any brand of foliar nutrient application because, just like fertilizers are different and use different forms of nutrients, I'm sure the same is true for the foliar fertilizers.  Some would likely result in higher nutrient uptake by the plant that others.

Steve
EarthBox
Jagcatfan

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 07:51:38 PM »

Von I live in North Florida also. I planted my tomato plants the week before Easter and so far have picked 78 tomatoes.  I have about 15 more on the vines.  I was experiencing a problem with blossom drop and I started brushing the blossoms with a brush and they are lasting and yesterday I sprayed them with a blossom drop spray.  I probably have about as many new blossoms as tomatoes I have already picked.  Now I am just waiting so see if any fruit develops.  Will keep you posted. Smiley

Von- It is now the 14th of September and since I last posted I have picked 99 tomatoes.  My vines were covered in blossoms but they either dried up and produced no fruit or the blossoms dropped off.  I have continued spraying the new blossoms with Blossom Drop spray but it has not helped.  My plants contine to produce blossoms but they aren't producing anything.  I will probably give it another week or two and then pull up the plants.
vonkamp
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 05:29:35 PM »

Wow Jag, that's alota maters'!!

I pulled my plants about a month ago. They had the same symptoms as yours are having now.

My Pepper plants however, just keep going, and going.... and going.  Grin Grin Grin

Is it too late to start a fall garden? I thought I would plant some spinach. I sure wont be buying any.  Undecided Undecided Undecided

Cheers,
Von

PS~ GO JAGS!!!!!!! Bouncy Bouncy Bouncy Grin Grin

* peppers.JPG (59.94 KB, 640x427 - viewed 402 times.)
Jagcatfan

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 10:12:59 PM »

That's right Von, "GO JAGS...BEAT THE STEELERS".
Your peppers look very nice.  I also planted corn and cucumbers in my other two earthboxes. I picked about 35 cucumbers and something got my plants.  I think powdery mildew but I'm not quite sure.  And my corn, i never got an ear.  The plants grew (well, some of them grew very nice) and out of the twelve plants there were about 4 ears on the plants but they really didn't fill out full of corn.  I won't try that again.  I do want to plant some fall tomatoes.  Lowes says they will be getting plants in about 2 - 3 weeks.  Would love some suggestions about what to plant in the other two earth boxes.  In case I forgot...."GO JAGS....WHOOP THE STEELERS". Cheesy
tomgirl

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 08:48:52 PM »

That's right Von, "GO JAGS...BEAT THE STEELERS".
Your peppers look very nice.  I also planted corn and cucumbers in my other two earthboxes. I picked about 35 cucumbers and something got my plants.  I think powdery mildew but I'm not quite sure.  And my corn, i never got an ear.  The plants grew (well, some of them grew very nice) and out of the twelve plants there were about 4 ears on the plants but they really didn't fill out full of corn.  I won't try that again.  I do want to plant some fall tomatoes.  Lowes says they will be getting plants in about 2 - 3 weeks.  Would love some suggestions about what to plant in the other two earth boxes.  In case I forgot...."GO JAGS....WHOOP THE STEELERS". Cheesy

While waiting for Lowe's to do whatever, you might want to check this site out and order from Laurel.  I've got two fall plants growing nicely - second planting in the EB, after a successful Celebrity crop.  She ships by mail. Both my plants (Cherokee Purple and Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red) arrived in good shape and have done very well.  I look forward to planting in December.  Enjoy the site - lots of great tomato info!

www.heirloomtomatoplants.com
Jagcatfan

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 04:47:35 PM »

Thanks for the web-site Tomgirl.  I've checked it out and have made my list of four plants that I am getting ready to order.  I will definitely remember the site for next year.  Thanks again!!! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: