The EarthBox Forum
October 31, 2014, 12:13:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blossom end rot cure?  (Read 38897 times)
garobill

« on: July 04, 2006, 02:09:32 PM »

This season is my first with the Earth box.  Things were seemingly fine until tomatoes started setting on, then about half are apparently developing blossom end rot (at least, the bottoms of the small tomatoes are turning black). 
Does anyone know a cure for this during the growing season?  I followed the directions exactly, and used all the materials supplied with the Earth box, including their potting soil, fertilizer, etc.
ioiosotwig

N. Illinois USA - Zone 5

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 04:48:17 PM »

My advice to anyone posting a question, would be to do a "SEARCH" first...  most likely the topic was already discussed and possibly a solution posted.  Especially if you want a quick answer, it probably will be immediately at your fingertips!

Here is the discussion of Blossom End Rot which I found with a simple search...
http://forum.earthbox.com/index.php?topic=186.0

Just a suggestion!  Some people are not familiar with all of the features of a forum.

BTW:  Welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 08:49:44 PM by ioiosotwig » Logged
Ratrace142

Virginia in Zone 7

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 05:03:32 PM »

Here's a homemade cure: crush 2 Tums tablets in a gallon of water. Add 2 Tablespoons of Epson salts to this water. Repeat this every time you water your plants.

Welcome to the forum. Cheesy

Please post updates. Best of luck to you. Cheesy
garobill

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 09:17:19 AM »

Thanks for the prompt replies.  I will admit I didn't think to do a search, so I apologize.  Now, to get busy and try the cure before it's too late!
Diana

Northwestern Missouri USA Zone 5

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 12:26:18 PM »

garobill,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your blossom end rot problem. I had it too after many days of hard rain.

I mixed 1 cup of hydrated lime in a gallon of water and added it to my reservoir per Steve's instructions. It immediately worked. Haven't had anymore blossom end rot problems in my tomatoes or my bell peppers since I did that. If you can, get powered dolomite which is healthier. Unfortunately it may be difficult to find this late in the season.

By the way... ate my first two ripe tomatoes off my heirloom cherry tomato plant on July 3rd. They were the best tasting tomatoes I think I've ever had! So I know the hydrated lime didn't destroy any flavor, and perhaps enhanced it.

All the best,

Diana
garobill

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 09:28:14 AM »

An update at mid-July: 
The recommended cure of hydrated lime added to the water seems to have done the trick.  I only had a few more affected tomatoes, then the rest seem to be ok.  My plants are loaded with new tomatoes, with seemingly every bloom turning into a tomato.  Now, the wait for a ripe one seems interminable.  I sure wish there was an automatic watering system available, as we have to be gone about a week and a half, and am trying to come up with a way to keep my tomatoes happy.  At worst, I'll turn my water on to a fast drip and let it go while we're gone.
Thanks again to those who offered the cure!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: