The EarthBox Forum
September 30, 2014, 11:59:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How long does it take a red bell pepper to turn from green to red?  (Read 6431 times)
cw30garden

« on: August 04, 2008, 08:14:28 PM »

I have one red bell pepper plant in my garden and this is my first time growing red bell peppers. Any advice or suggestions on this topic would be greatly appreciated.  I was wondering if it has to do with the weather conditions in my area and how often I am watering the plant.  I live in Fredericksburg,VA.
Thanks alot for any response that you may give to this topic.
Conor
gardendoc

Ocean Springs, MS Zone 9a

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 08:26:16 PM »

Conner,

It is a maturation process that occurs within the pepper variety.  The pepper will color up after the fruit has reached its mature size.  In my bell pepper trials in the past I have found that certain varieties may take 6 weeks from fruit set to mature color.  So be patient.  One interesting point, a green bell pepper will turn red if allowed to.  In fact all peppers will color up if allowed, both bell or hot peppers.  Everyone knows that Jalape?o peppers are green, but if allowed to grow longer will change to red and when roasted are called chipotles.

Good Gardening

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. Gerald Ford

Be the fountain, not the drain
mjb8743

Zone 7, South NJ, Garden State

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:17:02 PM »

Generally, harvest times are given as so many days from transplanting... on average, most pepper varieties list ~ 70-75 days to maturity. Mine were transplanted around a week before Memorial day, and they are now starting to show some red, or yellow for the gold variety... that seems just about right.

Mickie

111 EBs and growing... so how come there are never enough boxes??
cw30garden

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 09:38:54 PM »

Thanks for the information Mickie.  I think I have one pepper starting to turn yellow now.
conor
dianasgarden

Southern New York State, Zone 6

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 09:23:17 AM »

Timely topic!

I put my seedlings into the Earthbox before Memorial Day and just yesterday I noticed a bell pepper had turned from green to yellow. They seem to take forever, don't they?

Diana

Diana
I write consumer reviews and articles (some about Earthboxes!) at Epinions.com (my "name" there is dianapinions) and at AssociatedContent.com (where I am known as dianasgarden). Stop in and say Hi if you see me there!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: