The EarthBox Forum
April 23, 2014, 08:14:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Glass vs plastic container for pickles  (Read 10551 times)
dianasgarden

Southern New York State, Zone 6

« on: July 30, 2008, 06:41:40 PM »

Hi there,

Now that I'm happily drowning in cucumbers (Thank you, Earthbox!), I've been making, and enjoying, refrigerator cucumbers. I'm just confused about containers for making pickles, as well as containers for storing them.

I note that all the major brands of pickles sell them in glass containers. Why is that? Would a plastic container leech chemicals into the pickles?

On the other hand, the deli section of the grocery store sells pickles in plastic containers. And some people have posted that they make their pickles by putting all the ingredients in Ziploc-type plastic bags.

So, is there anything wrong with putting pickles in plastic containers, rather than glass, either during the pickling process, or for storage in the refrigerator?

Thanks!

Diana

Diana
I write consumer reviews and articles (some about Earthboxes!) at Epinions.com (my "name" there is dianapinions) and at AssociatedContent.com (where I am known as dianasgarden). Stop in and say Hi if you see me there!
TNcheech

western TN - Zone 7

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 08:11:08 AM »

Hi Diana!  I don't know anything technical about plastic vs. glass pickle containers.  But, I have plenty of glass canning jars in which to put refrigerator pickles and I use those.  I believe that glass keeps flavors/odors in the jar and out of the fridge and doesn't allow fridge odors/flavors into the pickles.  Hope this helps.   Cheesy
picker2b

Zone 7a -Copper Hill, VA

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 08:26:40 AM »

Hi there,

Now that I'm happily drowning in cucumbers (Thank you, Earthbox!), I've been making, and enjoying, refrigerator cucumbers. I'm just confused about containers for making pickles, as well as containers for storing them.

I note that all the major brands of pickles sell them in glass containers. Why is that? Would a plastic container leech chemicals into the pickles?

On the other hand, the deli section of the grocery store sells pickles in plastic containers. And some people have posted that they make their pickles by putting all the ingredients in Ziploc-type plastic bags.

So, is there anything wrong with putting pickles in plastic containers, rather than glass, either during the pickling process, or for storage in the refrigerator?

Thanks!

Diana

Diana I found this information from Clemson re: glass/plastic on pickles.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic3380.htm

Hope it helps..
Pat

Share your time with pleasure, share your wisdom with kind words.
mjb8743

Zone 7, South NJ, Garden State

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 02:19:46 PM »

I'm just confused about containers for making pickles, as well as containers for storing them.

Diana I found this information from Clemson re: glass/plastic on pickles.

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic3380.htm

Hope it helps..
Pat

In a nutshell, for convenience, the answer is:

"Pickles and sauerkraut can be fermented in large stoneware crocks, large glass jars or food-grade plastic containers. If you are not sure whether a plastic container is safe for food, read its label or contact its manufacturer. Another option is to line the questionable container with several thicknesses of food-grade plastic bags. Do not use aluminum, copper, brass, galvanized or iron containers for fermenting pickles or sauerkraut."

Mickie

111 EBs and growing... so how come there are never enough boxes??
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: