The EarthBox Forum
August 20, 2014, 06:41:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Homemade Spray for White Flies (safe and effective)  (Read 53638 times)
mjb8743

Zone 7, South NJ, Garden State

« on: July 08, 2008, 05:06:01 PM »

USDA researchers have come up with a ?home remedy? specifically for use against whiteflies. It works by smothering the larvae and eggs, and kills the whiteflies. It might be effective on some other insects as well, so it seems worth passing along:

Add one Tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap (the regular kind; NOT one of those anti-microbial types) to a cup of vegetable oil (peanut, corn, soybean, sunflower or safflower) and shake well. DON'T USE THIS AS YOUR SPRAY; IT MUST BE DILUTED! Mix 1+1/2 teaspoons of this 'master solution' into a cup of water, shake well and spray on those infested leaf undersides.

Or, you can get an insecticidal soap or send for Pyola from Gardens Alive.

Mickie
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:05:00 PM by mjb8743 » Logged

111 EBs and growing... so how come there are never enough boxes??
proudnfree

zone 9 north of Daytona Beach

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 07:01:56 PM »

Mickie I sent you question but I seem to have lost it it was about white flies I have a one galle sprayer could you tell me the ratio for a one gallen sprayer mixing cooking oil and dish washer detergent I am not to smart on math also I added lime to my bell peppers and they look great thank you for your helpproudnfree
mjb8743

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 07:48:57 PM »

Mickie I sent you question but I seem to have lost it it was about white flies I have a one galle sprayer could you tell me the ratio for a one gallen sprayer mixing cooking oil and dish washer detergent I am not to smart on math also I added lime to my bell peppers and they look great thank you for your helpproudnfree

The recipe for the master solution is in my prior post. To use:

The basic ratio is 1 part master solution to 32 parts water. Or...

TO MIX FROM SCRATCH FOR A ONE GALLON PUMP SPRAYER:

1+1/2 teaspoons liquid dish soap
5+1/2 Tablespoons oil
3 Quarts (12 cups) water

If you have one of those sprayers that attach to the end of your hose, I'm not sure how that goes... I always get confused using those things.

Mickie
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:02:53 PM by mjb8743 » Logged

proudnfree

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:41:44 AM »

Mickie is that 11/2 cups of oil and 11/2 cups of detergent please advise
proudnfree

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:00:07 AM »

Mickie or is that 6 ounces of oil and 6 ounces of detergent please explain it a little more clearer also I have a 1 gallen pump sprayer I am sorry to be such bother and thanks for your patients with us new guys. again thank you for your help
MaryB

Zone 7, North Central AR

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 11:59:54 AM »

proudnfree,

This isn't Mickie, but here is her original recipe for the homemade spray:

MASTER SOLUTION:

Add one tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap (the regular kind; NOT one of those anti-microbial types) to a cup of vegetable oil (peanut, corn, soybean, sunflower or safflower) and shake well.  DON?T USE THIS AS YOUR SPRAY; IT MUST BE DILUTED! Mix two tablespoons of this ?master solution? into a cup of water, shake well and spray on those infested leaf undersides.

That is how you make the master solution.

Next you'll need to do the dilution for your 1 gallon sprayer:

DILUTION:

1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) master solution to 3 quarts of water for your 1 gallon hand pump sprayer
proudnfree

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 12:17:42 PM »

Thanks Mary for your help
proudnfree

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 01:04:34 PM »

Mary could you tell me how much detergent and how much oil in a one gallen sprayI do not know how much to mix
MaryB

Zone 7, North Central AR

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 01:20:31 PM »

proudnfree,

Have you mixed up your master solution?

MASTER SOLUTION:

Add one tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap (the regular kind; NOT one of those anti-microbial types) to a cup of vegetable oil (peanut, corn, soybean, sunflower or safflower) and shake well.  DON?T USE THIS AS YOUR SPRAY; IT MUST BE DILUTED! Mix two tablespoons of this ?master solution? into a cup of water, shake well and spray on those infested leaf undersides.

That is how you make the master solution.

Let me know when you have that ready to be diluted.
cushman350
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 01:40:01 PM »

For a one gallon sprayer: Two tablespoons soap and two cups oil will give you approx. 16 oz. of master solution. Then measure out 12 oz. of this to 3 quarts water. Keep shaking often. I know I am.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 01:45:12 PM by cushman350 » Logged
mjb8743

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 07:17:15 PM »

For a one gallon sprayer: Two tablespoons soap and two cups oil will give you approx. 16 oz. of master solution. Then measure out 12 oz. of this to 3 quarts water. Keep shaking often. I know I am.

Thanks, Cushman... I was getting ready to tear my hair out....

Mickie

chrisbk

Northern CA, Zone 8

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 02:12:34 AM »

At the risk of seeing Mickie bald or having the red font start blinking and hissing, experience with this recipe tells me that, once you have the master solution mixed, you may want to move from the standard 2 TB of the master solution + 1 cup of water to, instead, 2 TB of the master solution mixed with up to 8 cups of water.  The mix is, of course, not nearly as strong but, in very high temps, it does not burn the leaves and seems almost as effective.  A friend tried the solution full strength in the early evening and cooked the edges of her squash leaves.  It got rid of the bugs but now her garden looks unsightly.
Chris

Tomato is spelled without an E.
picker2b

Zone 7a -Copper Hill, VA

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 10:07:57 AM »

Hi Mickie,

OK, I'll delete my message as to not confuse anyone..

Smiley
Thanks
Pat

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 05:55:23 PM by picker2b » Logged

Share your time with pleasure, share your wisdom with kind words.
proudnfree

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 11:36:08 AM »

I apprecate all the help from you guys it is a nice feeling that you are not alonetrying to fight mother nature and mickie I understand now it seems you have patients like a saint and please keep your hair where it belongs
mjb8743

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 01:50:47 PM »

picker2b-

The problem with doing straight multiples of the formula is when you take into account the capacity of the sprayers. Example:

A 1 gallon sprayer holds 16 cups. Straight math multiplying the formula says to use 32 Tablespoons to 16 cups, which equals 2 cups concentrate to 4 quarts water, which exceeds the capacity of the sprayer. Thus, I recommended using the 24 Tablespoons (1+1/2 cups) concentrate to 3 quarts water for the 1 gallon sprayer. Figuring out the various concentrations for the CAPACITY of various sprayers made my hair loosen at the roots.  Sad

Mickie
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:19:36 PM by mjb8743 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: