The EarthBox Forum
September 01, 2014, 07:13:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When to pick Giant Marconi green bell pepper  (Read 19021 times)
dianasgarden

Southern New York State, Zone 6

« on: July 08, 2008, 09:28:19 AM »

Good morning Earthboxers,

I've got a couple of Giant Marconi green peppers growing and can't figure out if it's time to pick them. They are about 3-4 inches long, and have been in the Earthbox approximately 6-7 weeks.

Any tips?

Thanks!
Diana

Diana
I write consumer reviews and articles (some about Earthboxes!) at Epinions.com (my "name" there is dianapinions) and at AssociatedContent.com (where I am known as dianasgarden). Stop in and say Hi if you see me there!
tag

Fleming Island, Fl. Zone 8

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 10:38:59 AM »

You can pick them green or you can wait until they turn red. I grew them last year. I would pick some green and some red so I could have the different colors in what ever I made with them. They taste good green and great red. IMHO.
MaryB

Zone 7, North Central AR

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 11:11:19 AM »

I also have a couple giant marconi plants; what fun they are to grow. I have so much BER on my bell peppers that I'm picking them for cooking and allowing the marconis to continue growing. I can hardly wait to try them. Last year the restaurant where I worked used the red marconis to make stuff peppers. They were awesome.
luvgardening2

Southern California, Zone 8

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 02:17:22 PM »

Hi, I have never tried Marconi's but they were at the nursery and I thought I would give them a try.  I figured if I did not like them, I could find someone that would.  Mine are looking quite BIG and I too did not know when to pick them.  Since the tag said Red Marconi's, I was waiting for them to turn red.  For some reason, they starting to fall off the plant while green.  Not sure why, could be my dogs brushing up against them.  I went ahead and picked them and stir fried them with shallots, garlic and a Japanese seasoning.  They were so GOOD that I have made this dish 3 days in a row. Shocked  I really like the idea of stuffed marconi's, if I can refrain from stir frying them, I am going to give it a try. 

Mary B., The stuffed peppers that you had last year, any clue how to make them?

Nancy
mjb8743

Zone 7, South NJ, Garden State

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 04:54:34 PM »

I grew them last year, and typically they grew to 8"-10" before turning red. I liked them, but chose Big Bertha this year because they only grow to 6"-7" and are easier to stuff.

Mickie

111 EBs and growing... so how come there are never enough boxes??
MaryB

Zone 7, North Central AR

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 08:26:50 PM »

Mary B., The stuffed peppers that you had last year, any clue how to make them?

Nancy

I thought this was going to be easy, Nancy. But, I'm finding out that there are many versions of stuffed peppers. The Giant Marconis made an awesome presentation, sliced lengthwise and filled. Here is a recipe that I found that is similar but the restaurant probably used less meat and added a lot more saut?ed veggies, just using whatever was fresh at the time. You can use breadcrumbs instead of rice, and I'd probably used cooked rice instead of uncooked and then cut down on the liquids and the baking time. Couscous is also great. You can easily make these vegetarian, if you like. Some people bake them covered in tomato sauce and top with cheese.

http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/ground/037stuffpep.htm

dianasgarden

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 08:22:22 AM »

Thanks for all the replies and recipes!

I'm feeling kind of naive now. The tag that came with these just says "Giant Marconi", so I didn't even know that they will eventually turn red. Great to know!

I usually use bell peppers for salads, and occasionally for stir-fry. Thanks for opening my eyes to the possibility of stuffing. Might have to give that a try.

And Japanese seasoning? Wondering what that is ....

Thanks, again!

Diana

Diana
I write consumer reviews and articles (some about Earthboxes!) at Epinions.com (my "name" there is dianapinions) and at AssociatedContent.com (where I am known as dianasgarden). Stop in and say Hi if you see me there!
TNcheech

western TN - Zone 7

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 08:39:10 AM »

I believe that any type of green pepper will turn red when ripe.  They are much sweeter when red.  There are fancy bell peppers that are change to different colors like chocolate, purple, etc.  They start out green and waiting for them to change color is not always easy.  I use soy sauce, ginger and a small amount of cayenne pepper in my stir fry.  Hope this helps.   
carolg

Denver, CO zone 5

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 09:23:04 AM »

When they are all red is my time for picking.  Lucky you.
carolg
luvgardening2

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 03:02:42 PM »

MaryB, Thank's for the link. I will go and take a look.  I have a friend that is a great cook so I will ask her how she would prepare it. 

Dianasgarden, I apologize for not putting the name of the seasoning.  I do not have it.  I shared it with my sister and I just put it in a shaker jar.  I know when I see it in the store but I do not know the name.  The next time I am in a Japanese Market I will write down the name and come back here to post it. 

Nancy   
dianasgarden

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 05:07:42 PM »

Thanks, Nancy (and no apologies necessary)

Diana

Diana
luvgardening2

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 01:09:41 AM »

It is called Hon-Dashi, Bonito Fish Soup Stock.  It is made in Japan by a company called Ajinomoto.  I never paid attention to the ingredients but I looked at it today and not sure if I dig it now.  It contains MSG.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm................

Nancy 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: