The EarthBox Forum
October 02, 2014, 12:27:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: help! drooping tomato plants!  (Read 2764 times)
gldlvr

« on: June 30, 2008, 06:43:55 PM »

My tomatoes have been doing great.  I have been regular about watering.  I came home from work and 2 plants looks very droopy....almost dying.  I have the EB staking system.  Should I cut them back a lot?  They have grown like crazy.  Is the trunk being compromised by the branches reaching out too much?
Thanks.
bdobs

SF Bay Area 8b

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 07:11:49 PM »

Sounds like you box may have run out of water.
A coupl of weeks ago I watered my box at 11am on a Tuesday, I didnt water the next morning as I was running late getting ready for work.
I came home from work at 6PM Wedseday(31 hours after my last watering) and I thought my two precious monster Brandywine Toms were done for. 
They were drooping EXTEMELY bad.
I watered them and within an hour I could start to see a difference.
By the next morning they were back!
mjb8743

Zone 7, South NJ, Garden State

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 10:40:14 PM »

My tomatoes have been doing great.  I have been regular about watering.  I came home from work and 2 plants looks very droopy....almost dying.  I have the EB staking system.  Should I cut them back a lot?  They have grown like crazy.  Is the trunk being compromised by the branches reaching out too much?
Thanks.

You don't say where you are, but in the worst heat of summer in the south, tomatoes can require watering 3 times in one day.

Please put your location and zone, if known, in your profile. That way, it will show up in your posts... it helps when diagnosing problems and we won't have to keep asking you where you are. This post tells you how:
http://forum.earthbox.com/index.php?topic=283.msg1673#msg1673

A better source for zones, updated for global warming:
http://arborday.org/treeinfo/zonelookup.cfm

Mickie

111 EBs and growing... so how come there are never enough boxes??
gldlvr

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 08:49:27 PM »

Thanks!  I guess I underestimated how much water the plants need.  I of course watered it, but I also cut off a few of the random branches. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: