The EarthBox Forum
November 23, 2014, 04:32:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans  (Read 25366 times)
Woods1

Tarpon Springs FL zone 9

« on: June 18, 2008, 07:42:39 PM »

First time using EB and it so rewarding to see plants emerging and growing 7 feet tall from a seed. My pole beans just started getting white flowers so hopefully we will begin getting beans soon.  I have seen some of the dried flowers on the ground around it but many on the plants also.  Is anyone having luck with pole beans at this time of year?  I'm wondering if I should move them to an area that gets just afternoon sun or let it go in the full sun where it has been and see what happens. The temp here on the west coast of FL , I think zone 9 , is about 93 during the day.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Also, my cucumbers just started getting some flowers but I noticed one already fell off.?  Thank you.

Is anyone out there?? I have one bean-eureka.  Hopefully more will be on board. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:55:20 PM by Woods1 » Logged
Donald1800

Fontana, CA Zone 8

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:48:41 AM »

Just be patient.

Donald1800
Woods1

Tarpon Springs FL zone 9

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 08:56:38 AM »

Mine seemed to do the same thing and then one day..beans.  Good Luck. Cindy
JB

Springfield, VA z7 New AWS - it's working! 8/13/09

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 06:26:49 PM »

With my luck they'll all come in the week I'm on vacation!  Argh.

JB

~~ thought it was time to add a picture of my pooch to the ranks :-)  ~~
Donald1800

Fontana, CA Zone 8

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 04:33:28 AM »

But your neighbors will love you.

Donald1800
JB

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 01:41:46 AM »

They will double love me Donald, because my tomatoes are just ripening now, too.  They had two pots out but theirs are lower to the ground and the squirrels are having a hey-day.  I saw one bold enough to sit under a tree not 20 feet from the pot and just enjoy himself with a green--not even reddish yet--tomato.  I think the squirrels have picked my neighbors plants clean.  It's only a matter of time...

I'm going to Home Depot to get some chicken wire to make an improv cage, unless someone has a better idea?

P.S. These are THE most expensive tomatoes I've ever had!  Ditto for the beans!!!

JB

mjb8743

Zone 7, South NJ, Garden State

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 02:23:29 PM »

Just leave a way to get to your tomatoes if you make that chicken wire cage. If you don't, the squirrels will have the last laugh watching you.  Grin

Mickie

111 EBs and growing... so how come there are never enough boxes??
JB

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »

haha--I *did* think of that.  The guy at my hardware store suggested sprinkling "Critter Ritter" around the bottom.  It's an animal friendly product that just smells bad.  I think I might try that first, since building a 12 foot chicken wire cage for two plants does *not* excite me !!!!!!  I think I'm still staying ahead of the squirrels by bringing them in like Mickie said, "in about two days, they'll be ready" = pick now or else!  I forgot about the birds though.  Might also have to get netting...

Next year.......she said.....making the lessons learned list.

JB

JB

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 09:16:34 PM »

Finally!  I saw four or five little string beans on my plant.  What's interesting is that they didn't appear where I thought they would.  I thought I saw the first blossoms at the top of the trellis where there are lots of leaves, and that's where the beans would appear.  But instead it seems the first ones are where new growth on the runner is--that is, not too far behind/below the part of the runner that's still running.

Any ideas how long they produce? For example, if they're just starting now,  I might get a few handfuls over the next 2-3 weeks?

grb1, start watching !

JB

mjb8743

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 09:46:32 PM »

If you keep them healthy, pole beans go on until something kills them. Bush beans go all at once, then quit after 2-3 weeks.

grb1

zone 5b Southeastern Wisconsin

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 03:22:57 PM »

I am watching. Grin

I have a question. I've been getting Kentucky Wonder pole beans for about a week now. They get to be about 6" to 9" long and I picked over 100 of them. My Blue Lake pole beans are a smaller bean and are growing very slowly. So far I only picked 15 of them. Should I expect more Blue Lake's later in the season or are they slackers?
bobk

West, Central FL - Zone 9b

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 03:44:43 PM »

I am watching. Grin

I have a question. I've been getting Kentucky Wonder pole beans for about a week now. They get to be about 6" to 9" long and I picked over 100 of them. My Blue Lake pole beans are a smaller bean and are growing very slowly. So far I only picked 15 of them. Should I expect more Blue Lake's later in the season or are they slackers?

This is great info comparing the two varieties.  Looks blue lake is a slacker compared to the kentucky wonder.  I doubt it will catch up since most pole beans maturity dates are around 60 days, but let us know.  Maybe next time try Kentucky Blue, it's a cross between the two.

Sowing outside the box but still in the box.
grb1

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 03:55:51 PM »

I'll do that. Bouncy

Woods1, haven't heard from you lately. What's happening with your beans?
mjb8743

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »

Maybe there's a chance that Blue Lakes are slow starters, and that they will accelerate production? By picking them, it may stimulate whatever tells them to hurry up and produce more. Keep in mind that all beans like to be picked. If you stop, they will think their job is done (making seeds) and stop producing. The more they are picked, the more they will produce.

Mickie

grb1

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 04:16:45 PM »

The more they are picked, the more they will produce.

Mickie

I didn't know that. Unfortunately the Blue Lakes that I just counted (10) are only 1" to 1 1/2" long.

Time will tell, if they don't do well then I won't plant them next year that's for sure. Maybe the Kentucky Blues like bobk suggested.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: