The EarthBox Forum
September 01, 2014, 09:50:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Growing Peanuts!  (Read 24458 times)
John

Zone 5

« on: February 07, 2008, 10:21:05 AM »

Jessica, from the American Horticultural Society in Alexandria, Virginia
sent me this picture of the peanuts that she grew. 
GREAT JOB!!!

Pennsylvania Certified Horticulturist (PCH)
Jessica

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »

Yep, I grew peanuts in an Earthbox!!!   Grin  I have to admit, I had no idea what was going to happen.  I was walking around a local garden center and came across the peanuts.  I had no idea how they grew, but thought it could be a neat idea, so I gave it a try.  I planted two plants in the EB, with the same orientation as a tomato.  The plants were about 4 inches high.  They were slow to get established.  I thought I had lost both of them at one point, but only 1 passed on to the garden plot in the heavens.  The other continued to thrive, getting larger with time.  I did a little research and found out that peanuts grow by sending off shoots that dig into the ground, and form the peanut.  After reading that I thought there was no way they'd grow in an EB since there is the cap.  Well, the vigorous growth had actually pulled some of the plastic away from the center of the plant, allowing the shoots to hit the ground.  Other shoots were sitting on top of the cap, having not found its way to the soil.  I let them go until before the first frost.  Our season was a little longer than normal here in VA so I harvested in November.  I simply cut the cap off and dug and pulled the plants roots out.  Out came the peanuts.  It was one of the coolest things I have seen!  I am absolutely going to grow them again this season.  I think I will cut the hole a little bigger this time, and maybe even cut it as the plant grows.  If you plan on trying it I recommend using the same orientation, 2 per box, and grow the hole as the plant gets bigger.
gardensong

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 03:29:49 PM »

Hi Jessica,
WOW, peanut plant looks great, thanks for sharing!!!  I've always wanted to grow peanuts in my box, think I might take the plunge.
Jessica

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:46:58 AM »

It's amazing the things you can grow in the box!  It's all an experiment.  The worst thing that happens is it doesn't grow.  Then you know that particular plant doesn't do so well.  But it's worth a shot Smiley  We should all try an unexpected crop and report back.  I'm going to try rice this year!   
kathy
Horticulturalist
The EarthBox

The mountains of PA Zone 5, almost 4.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:26:08 AM »

Let me be the first to volunteer to try a money tree.....with  gas expected to be well over 3.00 per gallon for the summer, my heat bills almost twice what the were last year.......I think I'll try a "cash crop". LOL.....seriously I am thinking about various unusual plants, but can't make up my mind. And then I find 2 or 3 new varieties of tomatoes, I want to try.  ButI love the idea of a lot of us......'thinking out of the box' and trying really unusual stuff, and then keepinng everybody informed of our progress.

kath, gardening is my game,  over 45 years in the business.
Deejo

Zone 9b, Brownsville, Texas

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 09:12:08 AM »

LOL Kathy, I'm with you!!
Think I'll take the dimes I found in the couch & start them in a box!
Dee
kathy
Horticulturalist
The EarthBox

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 10:53:46 AM »

No don't start with dimes...you'll grow plants that grow dimes....me I am growing a cash crop, I am going to plant "dollar plants"

Jessica

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 12:22:33 PM »

haha, you all are funny!  I think it would be an awesome idea if we reported on our unusual crops.  I'll go ahead and start another thread so we can keep the info all together.  I'll title it Unusual Crops in the Box. 
John

Zone 5

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 08:58:57 AM »

Hi Jessica,
Great Idea!

Pennsylvania Certified Horticulturist (PCH)
David

Connecticut Zone 6b

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 04:52:53 AM »

haha, you all are funny!  I think it would be an awesome idea if we reported on our unusual crops.  I'll go ahead and start another thread so we can keep the info all together.  I'll title it Unusual Crops in the Box. 

Good idea. I'm planning high value crops in my EBs, the more mundane stuff in the dirt and could use some suggestions. Dont' see a thread. Did you start one?
Echigo

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 01:53:56 AM »

Thanks for sharing! I'd always been curious about growing peanuts in the EB, but thought the depth wasn't sufficient. Think I'll stick with tomatoes and spinach for now though.
kathy
Horticulturalist
The EarthBox

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 12:20:46 PM »

David there is a thread, I believe it's called "unusual crops" in an EarthBox.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: