The EarthBox Forum
December 20, 2014, 06:05:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the automatic watering system worth it...could I make one myself?  (Read 9320 times)
janisgarden

« on: January 04, 2008, 06:44:57 PM »

Is the automatic watering system worth it?...or could I make one myself?
PrimoPepper

Holiday, Florida - Zone 9b

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 06:59:49 PM »

Personally, I think that the AWS is worth every penny spent.  Of course, there exists more than one way to accomplish the same task, however there is considerable water loss involved.  I understand that Earthbox invested quite a bit of time and money on the R&D to develope and perfect this device.  I would imagine that it would take some very specialized knowledge to develope a AWS that is as dependable as the AWS that Earthbox offers.

Just my thoughts Smiley

Primo
dancing lemons

Richmond VA Zone 7+

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 02:52:13 AM »

The AWS is totally worth the price.  I have it and love it. 

DL
redfish99999

Zone 8

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 03:45:32 PM »

If you have an automatic lawn irrigation system, it is easy to 'piggyback' a supplemental watering system for both earthboxes and row crops..........

I think the natural water could possibly be better for the plants since no city additives are employed......

NO CLUE
Donald1800

Fontana, CA Zone 8

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 05:55:42 PM »

I have gardened for decades, and during that period of time I have tried many approaches and techniques for automatically watering my garden area.  But up until the AWS, they ALL had serious limitations and disadvantages.  As an Electronic Engineer, I also spent MANY hours and dollars trying to develop an automatic and demand-type watering system to overcome these limitations/disadvantages to no avail - I even tried a non-electronic or totally mechanical approach, but couldn't get what I wanted.  Either way too expensive and required power of some kind, even for the mechanical approach, or too complex and not dependable/consistent.

The AWS is the best design out there - I would even say that it is "Elegant", in that it is the simplest concept/design (only one moving part), requires no power of any kind other than a low (10-20 psi) water pressure, provides a consistent/dependable performance, and should provide a lifetime of reliable trouble-free performance as long as you use a 150-200 mesh filter to prevent the orifice getting plugged, and provides water ON DEMAND to each EB as the plant's water needs change DAILY due to humidity, wind, transpiration and growth/fruiting rate.

I have absolutely no reservation in recommending this product for ALL EB installations that will be using an automatic watering system.

Yes, there are other ways to gain automatic irrigation/watering for container gardening.  But from my experience, you can't beat what you get with the AWS.  I would even say that I rate the AWS above the EB in changing how gardening is done, and with MUCH LESS work.  Together, they are an unbeatable combination.

Donald1800
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: