The EarthBox Forum
July 26, 2014, 07:10:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the EarthBox Forum!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is EB not available in Lowe's, Home Depot & WalMart??  (Read 5925 times)
dancing lemons

Richmond VA Zone 7+

« on: August 08, 2007, 03:54:48 PM »

Just thought I would pose this question to the powers that be..........

Seems to me that there would be a HUGE demand for EB's in places like this.  The new word is "go green".  Work it people!!  What is greener than growing your own 'local' produce?? 

Hipsters (folks with new hips and knees) can grow a small garden like many of them did before arthritis.  Many hipsters do not have a computer so they are limited to what is available in their local stores. 

I can see it now.  A monitor playing EB information video (set-up and other stuff) and a display of the EB right under this monitor.  The employees who work the garden center would be briefed on EB so they would be able to help customers. 

Oh well................

Bouncy Bouncy Bouncy Bouncy
carolg

Denver, CO zone 5

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 07:05:56 PM »

I second Dancing's suggestion to put EB in Lowe's, HD, Walmart.  Yes, EB make it easy for us to buy more quicker too.  I mean "I want it now" personality.

carolg z5 co
ioiosotwig

N. Illinois USA - Zone 5

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 10:46:33 PM »

Wal-Mart Facts from Wikipedia

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) is an American public corporation, currently one of the world's largest corporations (by revenues) according to the 2007 Fortune 500.[2] It was founded by Sam Walton in 1962, incorporated on October 31, 1969, and listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 1972. It is the largest private employer in the world and world's fourth largest utility or commercial employer, only trailing the People's Liberation Army of China, the National Health Service of the United Kingdom and the Indian Railways. Wal-Mart is the largest grocery retailer in the United States, with an estimated 20% of the retail grocery and consumables business, and the largest toy seller in the U.S., with an estimated 45% of the retail toy business, having surpassed Toys "R" Us in the late 1990s.

They presently have 3,800 stores in the USA.  Let's assume they would average about 200 EB's per store.  (3,800 x 200)  That would require EB to manufacture 760,000 EB's.  Probably too many to be manufactured in the USA, so off to China they go...  And where do the jobs go?

It's always the American thought!  I want it cheaper!  So if its cheap?  It's probably made elsewhere...

End of rant! Lips Sealed

EarthBox  Made in America
dancing lemons

Richmond VA Zone 7+

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 12:16:16 AM »

IOIO,
I totally understand the way it works and you are so right!!  However I want EB in national chain stores and if WalMart is too big for EB then I want it in Lowe's and Home Depot.  I also want it Made in America.  There is absolutely no reason it can not be MIA.  The factory that makes it now can surely hire more folks - even if it has to be temp labor that only works certain months of the year.  Somehow EB was able to manufacture enough to sell over the Home Shopping Network.   I could be wrong but if memory serves me they sold about 10,000 EB's in a 24 hour period where the EB was their "Daily Special".  I think EB can find an American factory to do the work.  I am sick and tired of factories going to China and other countries that have cheap labor.  Funny how we can make a gazillion cigarettes and cookies and potato chips but we have to ship our industry overseas.  I love watching John Ratzenberger (sp?) on his show "Made in America".  I now patronize some of those companies - when they have items I need.

If we increase the demand for EB's (MIA EB's) then that is good for the company and good for us customers and good for America!!

DL
kathy
Horticulturalist
The EarthBox

The mountains of PA Zone 5, almost 4.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 08:47:43 AM »

Well said IOIO........they would dominate the inventory, shipping schedules, etc. Then what, inferrior quality because of the huge demand? If we chose to do any of these chains you are suggesting.....we couldn't meet the demand, we are a small family owned company. We chose our retailers to be the independent garden centers, the people we thought knew potting mixes as opposed to potting soils, that knew plants and could easily grasp the concept of what an EarthBox is.  We (forum members) are all experienced, knowledgeable EarthBox gardeners. But we are small in numbers. If you were not an EarthBox user and you saw this box (planter) sitting amongst a bunch of planters on the planter shelf in one of these stores and it's price was let's say at the low side 39.95 to 49.95 on the high side, do you think you would buy it? We have 1200 retailers so far, all goal for '08 is to have 3000.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 01:24:38 PM by kathy » Logged

kath, gardening is my game, EarthBox is my fame. over 45 years in the business.
mgmoore7

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 10:04:04 AM »

I am with Kathy on this one.  Once companies start to sell to retailers such as the ones listed, EB starts to loose control of a great product.  The growth for EB will be slower this way, but somehow I don't think EB is looking to make millions overnight.   

ioiosotwig

N. Illinois USA - Zone 5

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 10:06:10 AM »

I am with Kathy on this one.  Once companies start to sell to retailers such as the ones listed, EB starts to loose control of a great product.  The growth for EB will be slower this way, but somehow I don't think EB is looking to make millions overnight.

Somehow I wouldn't think Wal-Mart would let THEM make the millions...  Wal-Mart would make the $$$$...
kathy
Horticulturalist
The EarthBox

The mountains of PA Zone 5, almost 4.

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 01:31:33 PM »

Well said, in my long career in the garden industry I have seen many, many small lawn and garden companies "hit a home run" with Wal-mart, they are on the top of the mountain....."we got Wal-mart"  We have to start running three shifts to meet the demand. And then they soon discover the mountain has a very slippery slope and boom they are gone. EarthBox wants to be a round a  long, long time and our growth needs to be sure and steady. If we were to partner up with one of these large chains  we could not do all that we do, and would not have time to develope new product, like the watering system. Trust me everyone here reads the forum and hears your suggestions loud and clear.

kath, gardening is my game, EarthBox is my fame. over 45 years in the business.
mgmoore7

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 03:25:07 PM »

Somehow I wouldn't think Wal-Mart would let THEM make the millions...  Wal-Mart would make the $$$$...

Yes, you are right about that.  I have worked in the retail industry (the behind the scenes functions in the home offices and with the buyers of products) for over 10 years and I know how it goes.  I have heard numerous stories of how ruthless Walmart is when buying.  They love to get a company to depend on them for virtually of of the revenue and then Walmart has them by a nuse and can demand just about anything.  Any yes, Wal-Mart gets the profits.  Then, they decide to buy from another company and your sales drop by 90%.  That is usually the end for that company.

Most people don't realize this but Walmart is not a retailer.  They are a supply-chain company that happens to have its final output consumed in a store. 
dancing lemons

Richmond VA Zone 7+

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 04:47:25 PM »

Although I totally disagree - in concept - I do understand about WalMart.  Please let us remove WalMart from this thread and let us discuss other retailers.  I am totally in favor of local garden centers being the front line in retailing EB but on a local level I would never, ever, ever have been able to afford EB as it was very expensive at the garden centers I could shop in.  Most that I am familiar with quoted me a price of about $50 and that did not include the potting mix.  They had potting mix available for $17 for the 2 cu ft bag.  I am only giving price for my area of Central Virginia.  HSN was my saving grace - the price was right and the shipping fee savings for buying more than one AND the 3 payment plan (with immediate delivery) made 8 EB's affordable - for me.  I was able to get 2 more boxes locally from someone who did not want theirs.  My potting mix was purchased from the hated WalMart - $9 for 2 cu ft bag (Miracle Gro). 

However I continue to believe that Lowe's and Home Depot would be a good place to sell this revolutionary product.  I wonder why it is that the EB folks were open to selling HUGE quantities on the Home Shopping Network but are hesitant to sell in Lowe's and Home Depot. 

In business there are ways to grow and to maintain control of quality and to further development.  Yes, many companies sacrifice quality and workmanship when they opt to increase output but that is usually a conscious decision on the part of management.   I have seen and been involved in both quality expansion and what I call corrupt expansion.   Yes, there are companies that want to stay just like they are and that is totally understandable - kinda........

BTW  -- this was just a thought.  Boy I never thought it would get so much attention.  My mum used to say - girl THINK before you speak Undecided

Cheers,
carolg

Denver, CO zone 5

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 05:52:44 PM »

Dancing GIRL,
Why the heck did you ever call yourself a lemon, and not lemonade.  You are trying to make EB more available all over the US.  I'm with you.  What can we do to help them.  They need more workers?  I know the jobs for me, educated, degree, communications has not been fruitful yet.  I have the skills. I know cheap labor is available and I don't get a chance sadly.  Not whining.  I can set up a distributon center here in CO. 

We have many people here from Mexico, I love them and can get the ball rolling. If Chipolte is doing so well, hardly an American working there, and not prejudice talk here, I can take that same concept and use these fabulous workers here in my backyard.  I love and vote for CO to be the next EB plant for making EB. Okay, specifically Denver/Boulder area.  We can get the workers.  What's the problem?  We have trains, buses and all transportation coming through this area. 

This is the home to CROC (shoes that a walking to the bank smiling and they even have more products lines now...great marketing) and they can wear comfy shoes all day and partner with CROCS too.  How's that for suggestions?  I'll be glad to lead the Denver distribution plant.  I'm great in follow up!  So we got the worker problem solved, the Manager of the plant, and now we need the product coming here. 

Is EB ready for CO--the home where sun shines 360 days per year?  I am!  I have been running my husband's business for 20 years so I got that experience under my belt and feet.  I got the mouth to talk effectively.  Here I am EB!  I want you around for many years too.

carolg
gator

Anderson,Western SC zone 7

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 12:16:40 AM »

Hi All,

Howdy, I've been noticing the post for more shipping and lower prices..

Lord lets not get into shipping to Wally-World, Lowes and Home Depot..Their requirements on shipping is Crazy, I know I'm a truck driver.. I don't profess to know the sales end of this dicussion,but I do know that the requirements are tremendous..
This, probably would be seasonal sales and shipping..

For example: Wal-Mart more than likely would require at two docks doors at the facility to remain open for their trucks ONLY at all time..On a fully loaded truck ( I'm just guessing) about 26 fully loaded pallets,with 28 EB kits per pallet, thats about 756 EB kits per load.. They (speaking of WAL-MART)would want to load at least 20 trucks aday..That's about 15000plus EB's aday!!

I'm not sure EB company is Ready or Big enough to take an order of that magnitude on a daily basis.. I think, their a small company thats getting their wet(so to speak).. I'm sure, their future growth will get there, and would love to have the business.. But time will come!!

Now, Lowes and Home Depot are just as ruthless with their shipping requirements!!
They would probably require a third of what wal-mart gets..

The EB company might be able to work on their rates with UPS, FED-EX and DHL a little, thats not in my area to comment on..But a year before the storms(Hurricanes)
in florida and in New Orleans diesel fuel was about 1.35 a gallon..Now adays it hovers around 3.05 a gallon.. I operated in 2003 on about 26,000.00 dollars for fuel,this past year I spent a little over 57,000.00.. So now, you might understand the price of shipping..

Just my thoughts!!
                                                       GATOR
ioiosotwig

N. Illinois USA - Zone 5

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 09:06:12 AM »

Thanks gator...  Its good to hear from an "insider" about shipping and the related costs...

People hear "FREE SHIPPING" and they think its free!  I hate to sound cynical, but there is no such thing as a free ride!  The trucker doesn't work for free, UPS is not free, USPS is not free, so who is paying for the shipping?  The shipper...   Add $15 to the cost of the item and say "FREE SHIPPING".

Todays fuel costs must be factored into everything we do...  drive 10 miles to a store to save a couple of bucks, and if your car gets 20mpg, it cost you around $3 in fuel to get your "deal".  30mpg, and it still cost you $2.  No free rides today I guess... <groan> Shocked
PrimoPepper

Holiday, Florida - Zone 9b

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 02:17:44 PM »

However I continue to believe that Lowe's and Home Depot would be a good place to sell this revolutionary product.  I wonder why it is that the EB folks were open to selling HUGE quantities on the Home Shopping Network but are hesitant to sell in Lowe's and Home Depot. 
Personally, I believe that the core success of marketing the EB through garden centers and HSN, is simple.... education.
Quite frequently, when I shop at Lowe's & Home Depot, I find that the sales floor staff do not have the specialized education neccessary to market the EB .

In business there are ways to grow and to maintain control of quality and to further development.  Yes, many companies sacrifice quality and workmanship when they opt to increase output but that is usually a conscious decision on the part of management.   I have seen and been involved in both quality expansion and what I call corrupt expansion.   Yes, there are companies that want to stay just like they are and that is totally understandable - kinda........
This is why I like the idea behind the Research Center...  A good R&D department, along with ideas from loyal EB customers, will help to advance the success that us EB'ers have come to enjoy ! Bouncy Bouncy
Primo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: